The Resource For Musicals

Ragtime Forum

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Who has been in Ragtime and who were you? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Who has been in Ragtime and who were you?
I was just in a student production of Ragtime! It was great! (the script was not changed at all) I was an immigrant. Who were you?

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:32 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I just finished a professional production of it in May. I was in the immigrant ensemble, and played Kathleen (the Irish maid), 2nd Beaurocrat, a worker, the welfare official, and a vigil woman.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Location: The middle of the woods in Indiana at a college no one's ever heard of...but I love it!
I was Mother in my high school's production. It was at Northmont High School in Clayton, OH and we got to perform at the International Thespian Society's Ohio State Conference in fornt of 1500 people who really love theater! The energy from the audience was amazing!

Past roles:
Mother-Ragtime
Snake-Children of Eden
Mrs. Mayor-Seussical
Abigail-Big

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

For those of you who have done Ragtime, you obviously know it is quite a controversial/meaty show. How was your show received by your community?

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Location: The middle of the woods in Indiana at a college no one's ever heard of...but I love it!
Really well! Becuse we are a high school and our community is fiarly conservative, we cut out the n-word (except in one song) and replaced it with other words, like "colored", or "boy" (said really insultingly). If you didn't know that we had changed the words, you never would have guessed.

When we performed at State Conference (see my note above) we replaced the n-word in a few places because we thought that the audience would be able to handle it.

In front of our community, we didn't want the n-word to distract from the meaning of the show. We wanted people to focus on the message of the song/scene rather than saying "Ooo, there goes [insert name of kid playing the part] saying the n-word."

Past roles:
Mother-Ragtime
Snake-Children of Eden
Mrs. Mayor-Seussical
Abigail-Big

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

broadwaybaby1310, did you do the school version? If you did, were there any major cuts?

I'd love to do the school version at my school but my community is 75% white and about 25% Asian or Indian. We did Ragtime at our local community theatre a few years ago, but there was lots of trouble finding black men. The casting went along the lines of: "Your name is Lopez, let's just pretend you're really black". The older people involved in the show even went as far as going up to African American men in public places and saying, "You're a man. You're black. I'm sure you can sing... Do you want to be in a show? Do you have any friends?"

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:04 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

For those of you who have done Ragtime, you obviously know it is quite a controversial/meaty show. How was your show received by your community?

I was cast A Sarah and cast B Pas De Deux dancer/Harlem Solo Woman.
The show itself was extremly well recieved, and we did make a few N-word cuts, but not all of them. I had a good time with my roles, but it was one of my least favorite shows that I have been it, because the cast was HUGE! There is also the fact that my community does not have many african-american theatre people, so my double, Coalhouse, Booker T, and 2 ensemble members were tho only african-american people in the whole show. All in all it was pretty good.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:16 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

broadwaybaby1310, did you do the school version? If you did, were there any major cuts?

I'd love to do the school version at my school but my community is 75% white and about 25% Asian or Indian. We did Ragtime at our local community theatre a few years ago, but there was lots of trouble finding black men. The casting went along the lines of: "Your name is Lopez, let's just pretend you're really black". The older people involved in the show even went as far as going up to African American men in public places and saying, "You're a man. You're black. I'm sure you can sing... Do you want to be in a show? Do you have any friends?"

No, we did the full version. We had some difficulty finding black men, but we got enough to round out the cast, but it would have been nice to have more.

Past roles:
Mother-Ragtime
Snake-Children of Eden
Mrs. Mayor-Seussical
Abigail-Big

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We had an amazing group of African-American men, but we wound up with only two women in it other than Sarah (one other got kicked out).

The reason why I asked how the show was received was because my production was in OK, which naturally is on the more conservative side, but we got a standing ovation from a mostly to completely full house every single performance for six weeks, which surprised me. (I must say, I got very snobby about it, and had a running monologue going during bows if the audience was not already on their feet by the time I entered the stage for bows.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I did Ragtime last fall and I was little boy. It was an amazing show. It was at a professional theatre in a urban city (not telling where that is) so we kept all of the profanity. We live in a community where there are many blacks and we did the show 4 years ago so we had some of the same people (same Mother, Father, Willie Conklin, Little Girl) from the last show. Ragtime is one of my favorite shows. So, then I auditioned for a different productionof Ragtime and I didn't get the part of Little Boy. I don't get it. The boy who got it was 6 years old! He couldn't sing and couldn't remember his lines. There were only 3 of us at the audition. And the other boy got the understudy and he mumbles when he sings. I was the oldest of the 3 but I was the only one that could sing, act, dance (and bonus: I had knowledge of the show and I could do a New Rochelle accent). The little girl, was IMHO miscast as well. She was 8 and Korean. Now, I'm not trying to be racist but color-blind is good, except when the show deals with racial issues. I have only met 1 Korean Jew in my whole life and she had a Korean mother and Jewish father. And the girl who got the understudy was 5. The girl who should have got it (was great at singing, acting, dancing, and not that it's necessary but actually was Jewish. But, she was 13) . The girl who played mother was 20, too young, did not at all remind me of the mother in my show. The Father was younger than the younger brother in my show. Overall, I think that whole production was sucky but I'm happy that I was in a good one.

Also, the Tateh couldn't pronounce any of the Yiddish, including the all-important phrase, "Amekhaye Khlebn". He said "America Klubin".

Even I, who didn't have to memorize A Shtetl Iz Amereke, did and know it perfectly.

Last edited by musicaltheatrefan on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:20 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Were you the little boy or not? :?

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:39 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I was the little boy last fall, but this spring I auditioned for a different production of Ragtime. Sorry, I guess I could have made that clearer.

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next