Pippin Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Lead Player 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: The 1920s, Helena Bonham Carter, Idina Menzel
Main Role: Fan
Post Lead Player
I'm not super familiar with Pippin and I haven't really done my homework #-o on past productions, so I was wondering if a female has ever been cast as the Lead Player in a professional production of the show.

Mon May 24, 2010 6:09 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Not only is such a casting choice very common, but the reasoning behind it is very sound. As the Leading Player is a confidante who betrays Pippin at every turn, casting the L.P. as a woman adds a sexual element to Pippin's seduction; this casting also gives the show a much more contemporary feel, to have a woman in the position of authority.

Mon May 24, 2010 7:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: The 1920s, Helena Bonham Carter, Idina Menzel
Okay. Thanks!! I just wanted to know 'cause a school production casted a girl as the leading player, and I think it did add that sexy element you were talking about.

Tue May 25, 2010 12:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Not only is such a casting choice very common, but the reasoning behind it is very sound. As the Leading Player is a confidante who betrays Pippin at every turn, casting the L.P. as a woman adds a sexual element to Pippin's seduction; this casting also gives the show a much more contemporary feel, to have a woman in the position of authority.

Wow, I never looked at it that way! I always thought it was something done when the theatre couldn't get a good enough male singer, but that is really an ingenious reason for it!

Tue May 25, 2010 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]