Pippin Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Deaf West's production 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
Post Deaf West's production
Has anyone here seen it or planning to? I really want to, but am not sure if I can make it down to LA in time.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW_TV ... e_20090123

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'll be taking some theatre students on the 7th. I'll be happy to share my opinion then.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:22 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, I waited a week to post my opinion because I needed to really think about it. The incorporation of sign and the double casting of signing and singing actors in some of the roles worked very well. In fact the signing was beautifully done and added to the production the way good choreography does. The costuming was generally good, but uninspired, and sometimes, as in the case of Berthe, pedestrian and poorly fitted to the actress. Fastrada's costume was a neon, plastic version of a 1950's housewife with bustier styled cleavage. The portrayal by the actress was equally plastic. She rarely showed any of the raw ambition central to the part, nor the wicked witty sexuality the role requires.
Louis was fine. Not good, not bad, just fine.
Charlemagne was powerful, distant, and paternal all at the same time. A little too Hell's Angel for me, but acceptable.
Berthe was flat and uninspired. No one joined in the sing along... she just didn't compel it. Her lust for life was hardly evident, nor was her lust for her young male chorus all that evident, even with the choreographed thrusts and gropes. She absolutely threw away her flagpole line. No laugh. NONE.
The two Pippins were very good. They were warm, funny, confused, petulant, and just a very little evil. Having two, one signing and one singing, made for an very nice dichotomy when the character is confused or trying to make up his mind.
Catherine was good, but her spotlight solo was nothing to bring down the house. I don't think her delivery got through to the audience, as they did not laugh or wince at her comments about him being "worse", nor did they relax when she said he was the best that had come along in a long long time.
The Lead Player was energetic, sexy, and in good voice. Not Vereen, but very good.
The ensemble was excellent, with a lot of expression and energy.
The finale was well presented. The duck flopped. Theo was too old, or too stolid, or just too unpleasant. His moment at the end, taking over Corner of the Sky was fine. They cut the "trapped, but happy" speech.
So, what did I think? If this was your first Pippin, you would probably enjoy it, but think it was nothing terribly special. I was neither pleased nor disappointed, since an evening of theatre, even bad theatre, can be fun.
But for my taste, the EastWest Players' version last year was far superior. This was just a performance. Theirs wasa dynamic art.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]