The Resource For Musicals

Pippin Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Lewis 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Lewis
Well, my high school is doing this play. I love it lots, I'm in it as chorus.

I read a bunch of synopsises (and there are some very disturbing versions of this show) and I realized that in either version Lewis was either gay in denial or someone who didn't care about girls and only about himself...so if you've ever done it, which was he. (In ours, he's a little of both).

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:34 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Actually, most of the directors who make Lewis gay are making a major mistake in doing so. Lewis is Pippin's opposite. He is animal, physical; while Pippin is cerebral, spiritual. Yet Pippin envies Lewis' prowess in battle, his strength, his confidence. Lewis is the kind of man Pippin thinks Charles wants him to be...brave, proud, never questioning.

The part of Lewis is often played as a homosexual because of one line in the second scene. Pippin tells Lewis he's shocked he's interested in women. However, Pippin isn't shocked that Lewis is interested in women instead of men; he's shocked Lewis is interested in women instead of war and killing. If Lewis were gay, it would undermine the impact of the incestuous relationship clearly indicated between Fastrada and Lewis. It would also subvert Lewis' position as the masculine soldier Pippin aspires to be, yet never will be.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:09 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Oh yes, I am very aware of all of that. We say that he is a bit of both because he tends to act it a little, but we don't let him have the gay lisp because the guy playing him in ours...well, he wouldn't do it even if he had to. What we're doing is leaving it to the audience to interpret.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:34 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
I honestly don't see how you can interpret Lewis to be gay.

"Lewis loves Lewis", for his physical prowess in battle and his own masculinity. As was stated by Brother Marvin.... he is all Pippin thinks his father wants him to be. It would be wrong to portray him as less than all male animal.

Pippin's "I'm only surprised you're interested in women now" alludes to Lewis' total obsession with battle....

Last edited by Melindaisy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:00 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer

"I'm just surprised you like women now!"

also being homosexual wasnt the same as being effeminate in those days. look at Richard the Lionhearted.

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

If you read synopsises or anything, you'll learn that Pippin actually does not have a specific time period. I also read that some productions do make Lewis a homosexual whereas others make it to where Lewis and his Mother do "things". Ours is only making it seem like he's gay a little bit...just to give the students a laugh and to let them try to figure out if he is or not...but still, I really like how it can be interpreted so many different ways.

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:45 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In the production I saw, Lewis was played as gay. I don't remember it too well (it was really long ago), but I do remember being very amused by that actor. He was fantastic and I didn't really notice it as a flaw in the directing.

Then again, I was really young.

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:59 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

It's not known as a flaw in directing, but as a flaw in interpretation, really.

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:09 am
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Brother Marvin, you wouldn't happen to be the author Scott Miller, would you? Or are you quoting him? Those are the words from the Pippin chapter of From Assassins to West Side Story. Either way, they're quite accurate!

That line could also be just a case of one sibling baiting another. You know, "Ha ha, I bet you're gay!" and running like a rabbit before he can clobber you.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
If I were Scott Miller, I don't think I'd advertise it, but no, I'm not him. Just a seventeen year old who wants to be a big thing in theatre one of these days. I quote wisdom wherever I can find it, and Miller has a lot. His views on JCS and HEDWIG are amazing.

Agreed, it could be baiting, but at least in Fosse's production, Lewis is definitely the cerebral animal Miller describes.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:19 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

You bet he does! I wish he'd get around to another book. I love his expanded and added articles on his website and I'd love to see his take on 1776, South Pacific, and Avenue Q.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Lewis
Also regarding the line "I'm only suprised you're interested in women now" could also be talking about Lewis being interested in something other than himself ("...most of all, Lewis loves Lewis.")

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next