The Resource For Musicals

Pippin Forum

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
High School Appropriate 

Is Pippn appropriate for a high school production?
Yes 90%  90%  [ 54 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 60

High School Appropriate 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post I did it in middle school..
My Middle School did a production of Pippin when I was in 7th grade. The director just used a slightly edited version, that the lyrics in some of the songs were somewhat different. It actually turned out wonderful, we competed in a district competition and placed first. So yes I think it can be appropriate for highschool.

Florinda (Into the Woods)
Player (Pippin)
Orphan (Oliver)

Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:13 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: I did it in middle school..
aLLiAnNe08 wrote:
My Middle School did a production of Pippin when I was in 7th grade. The director just used a slightly edited version, that the lyrics in some of the songs were somewhat different. It actually turned out wonderful, we competed in a district competition and placed first. So yes I think it can be appropriate for highschool.

Okay, now I don't see how that happened. I can't imagine someone whos 13/14 being a good enough actor to play Pippin.

Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:17 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Okay then, well actually the person who played Pippin WAS 14 and he did an amazing job. He is very talented, and just because someone is younger doesnt mean they can't be mature and perform well.

Florinda (Into the Woods)
Player (Pippin)
Orphan (Oliver)

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:40 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I'm not saying that he didn't preform well. I just can't see it, that's all. It's good that he was great, I just can't picture it.

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:54 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Agism has always been a problem. I don't see why you can't imagine a 14 year old good enough to sing the songs. I am not sure if you have ever heard of the North Carolina Boys Choir, but they are amazing.

Back on topic:

A very liberal local high school preformed A Chorus Line with only one change: "This and That" in Dance: 10 Looks: 3. It was wonderful. I think that as long as your school is OK with it, it is a great play to do.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:51 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

my school is VERY liberal, or rather I should say the drama deptartment is. In the past few years we've done:

Rags, Into the Woods, Cabaret, Scarlet Pimpernel, Nine, Sweeney Todd, and this year it's Pippin. And each year there were absolutely no changes made whatsoever.

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:07 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Pippin
Black Jack,
You did Cabaret? You're right, you're school is liberal!

On the other hand, with alterations to Pippin, it can be appropriate for any highschool.
However, I suggest altering dialogue-song segues while you're at it. It's pretty poorly structured, so I suggest maybe even adjusting lines as you read through for the first time and as rehearsals progress.

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:41 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

My high school was doing awesome shows (like Pippin, Cabaret, etc.) until Chicago, where everyone was in leather and lace underwear and it was the best production the school EVER did. However, all the scantily-cladness got the trustees mad and made my director tone it down. Since then we've done High Society, King and I, Dames at Sea and now Sound of Music. It's definitely go downhill.

I'm doing Pippin this summer at a high school musical program and hopefully they won't censor it to much! I have no idea what the restrictions are.

Sat May 13, 2006 10:36 am
But got in huge trouble for it.

I don't have an opinion myself... I haven't seen the show in many years and I don't remeber it well.
Accutally, I saw it when I was about seven, and I remeber my mother ushering me out during Act I...

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Plenty of high schools do Pippin. They usually cut things or downplay things or if your school is liberal enough, its left pretty much as is.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:57 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

O.O
Geauga...I don't know how to pronounce that, but can you be on my wall with lind and say things that I like for all eternity?
That is EXACTLY why I will never see a school production of Cabaret again. I saw one once...oy.
Things cut:
Two Ladies
Sally having an abortion at all
"Und now, presenting, the cabaret girls"
The verse about Elsie from the song Cabaret
Don't Tell Mama
I Don't Care Much
Anything to "violent" or "sexual".

Needless to say, that sucked. Back on topic, Pippin doesn't have a lot that should be cut if it's gonna be school production. The language, the Pippin Catherine "scene", and that's about it. Nothing else is "bad" enough. That school probably would cut half the show, though.

XO
Myst

So it was basically a two and a half minute version of "Wilkommen" and a G-rated "Cabaret". And curtain call.

I love my Orin!

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:02 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Sorry about the double posts...Back to subject...while the sexuality IS all good and controversial, has anyone ever considered the whole suicide thing? I'm all for an unadulterated Pippin in High Schools, don't get me wrong, but there are a ton of people who would flinch at even the word "suicide", much less convincing the lead to do it.

Forgive me. This is the school who took out the line "suck on this" in Honk. :)

I love my Orin!

Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next