The Resource For Musicals

Pippin Forum

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
High School Appropriate 

Is Pippn appropriate for a high school production?
Yes 90%  90%  [ 54 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 60

High School Appropriate 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post High School Appropriate
Hey!
Some people say that this show may be inappropriate for a high school production! What do you think? I have nevr seen the show done before, so any help with it would be great!

Thanks

"It's better to be hated for something you are then to be loved for something you are not!"

Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:36 am
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I think it's a great high school show. Some of the stuff would have to be toned down depending on the liberality of the school.. but yes, I'd say sure!

Either you're in... or you're out.

Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:37 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

it's a little more risky to do say than Fiddler of the Roof, but I think it's a great high school show. You can always change words like "@$$hole" to "idiot" and such, and get rid of the sexual references/dances (i do think tho that is a very important part of the show, so if anything be toned down and not removed)

Girl Crazy- stage right crew
Fiddler on the Roof- Asst. Stage Manager
Into the Woods- Stage Manager
Pippin- Stage Manager, Player

Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:30 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Well at our school, they toned it down by replacing the love scene shown on the broadway version with a scene between theo and pippin and theo's duck dying. It is mildly sexually related, but thats the humor in it.

Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:50 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Well at our school, they toned it down by replacing the love scene shown on the broadway version with a scene between theo and pippin and theo's duck dying. It is mildly sexually related, but thats the humor in it.

Umm, usually the sex scene and the dying duck scene are both in the show.

And Gerald wondered.

Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:51 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

yes, they are both in there, and also: a sexual scene between theo and pippin? how... does that work exactly?

42nd Street - Chorus
current production:

Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:07 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

our choreographer invented a new dance for flesh. well it was actually simmilar, after watching the dvd again. we replaced the guys with girls, we seperated the lesbians a bit, but they were stil there. the lowering of pippin was cut. we kept most of the curse words in there, but took out jackass ro asshole or whatever charlemagne called lewis in the origional. and we replaced the word sex in magic to do with lust.

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

our flesh was a 60's dance party. but we still had the pippin losing his virginity with the lowering bit. and we kept sex. and asshole. XD

42nd Street - Chorus
current production:

Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:25 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

YES! Our school performed it and we rated it pg-13, so younger audiences were not as large. BUT THE PLAY WAS AN ULTIMATE SUCESS BECAUSE THEY DIDNT DIDNT TAKE AWAY SCENES. although they did still tone it down. heh.

Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I fear I might get drawn and quartered for saying this, but I'm not so sure it is quite so appropriate for high schools. I feel as though the messages are extremely mature in nature, and that high schoolers just aren't as capable of understanding a portraying them unless you have an incredible director. Now this is not to say that a group of teenagers couldn't have fun doing Pippin, but as far as being the best fit, well I don't know. This, too, is all assuming that nothing was cut. As soon as you start having to bend over backwards to make it acceptable, you are admitting the content isn't suited for your actors and your audiences. With You and the sexual connotations in the Hearth sequence are there for very specific reasons, and if you opt to not capitalize on them AT ALL, you are omitting a significant component to the plot and to Pippin's life. In all of our lives, doesn't sex play a main role in the development of our maturity? I mean, to not even use the WORD "sex" in Magic To Do, is just so unfortunate.

I am by no means blaming or criticizing those who have done the show in a high school setting. If anything I think it is unfortunate that high schools have to be so incredibly conservative in what they portray onstage. It's this hush hush attitude that makes for the nixing of Rizzo's pregnancy (a significant, and dramatically RIFE teenage issue) and Sarah Brown getting "caught up in the moment" rather than drunk on her ass, but I digress...

Sexual imagery and (mild) profanity aside, Pippin is about issues much bigger than most teenagers are able to comprehend. Part of the genius in the way Fosse adapted it is that he took a treacly score and plot and turned it into a dark, chilling fable. I don't know how a high school can do as adequate a job of recapturing that same brand of warning and darkness. That all being said, if anyone is currently involved with a high school production of this, one of the most intriguing and ambiguous musicals ever written, I wish you best of luck, and just disregard what I've just written as the ramblings of someone who thinks way too much. :)

Thu May 27, 2004 8:16 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Think about it: high school and college students are the horniest people on earth and they truly are at a point in their life where they need to find a place. They're really going off into the world. This is a great show for a high school or any sort of learning institution. The students - no matter what their background - all parallel the characters in every way.
Pippin - obvious
Catherine - the girl in HS always trying everything (ie losing her virginity) to keep the boyfriend around.
Theo - looking for a father figure
LP - putting up a smooth front while inside he's crumbling
Char - blindly dumb, ignorant of the real world
Fast - the slut looking to get by through sex appeal

Weren't you one of these kids in HS and didn't you know all of these kids in HS. They can handle it. They'd be better suited most adult casts.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:49 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

yes, they are both in there, and also: a sexual scene between theo and pippin? how... does that work exactly?

O.O
NONONONO! I do not think that's what they meant. I think they meant that the scene with the duck dying has some sexual jokes or whatever made by the characters, but not an actual sex scene! That'd be creepy.

Do the Q, honey. Wicked went DOWN.
-Liz

Q:Is Lucy T Slut a weapon of mass destruction?
A:Parts of her are.

Official CATS forum Mistoffelees
^well I WAS. About...a year ago.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next