The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
LOVE NEVER DIES 2014 TOUR 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post LOVE NEVER DIES 2014 TOUR
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/17 ... nticipated

It seems ALW has not learned his lesson from the the past, and is planning a UK Tour of 'Love Never Dies' for February 2014, with ambitions of carrying it on further to other countries in the future.

Based on the Aussie design, it is planned to tour for 75 to 80 weeks. All dates/casting TBA.

Personally, I think LND can work well as a stand-alone musical, but as a sequel, I think it leaves much to be desired from fans of the original.

Thoughts? Is this just another desperate attempt to revive a musical that should never have been, or could this actually work?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:02 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: LOVE NEVER DIES 2014 TOUR
I personally am really excited about this.

I missed out on the chance to see Love Never Dies during it's original run, so I've been restricted to only having watched the Australian version on DVD. Plus after the success of the Phantom of the Opera UK tour, it makes sense to follow it up with a Love Never Dies tour; ALW might also choose to make some changes to the production before the tour, maybe similar to the changes made to POTO before its tour.

In terms of success? If you go by ticket sales, it'll be an amazing success. If you go by critics, not so much...

I do have to agree that as a stand alone musical, LND is brilliant, but as a sequel to POTO, it just doesn't measure up to it [and by a long shot]

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:36 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: LOVE NEVER DIES 2014 TOUR
LND can't be both a stand-alone show and a sequel to POTO. Considering the additions of little quotes from the original's music and dialogue, and the advertising ("The Story Continues" and the use of the iconic mask), they seem to have opted for its being a sequel.

Ticket sales in Australia for its limited run seem to have been good. Ticket sales in London weren't good enough to keep it from bleeding money. If they have a downsized show that tours the smaller cities, it might make some money for the company. Apparently, its ever coming back to London is contingent on its doing well during the tour.

They might be working like busy bees booking tour dates, but there has been NO further word on this tour since the announcement.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]