The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Sound quality on CD of Albert Hall Anniversary recording 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Sound quality on CD of Albert Hall Anniversary recording
We all love this glorious Lloyd Webber Musical and we have bought copies of the Albert Hall anniversary cast album. However, I've been bothered by the boxy and uneven sound quality. I'm not sure if other Phans like you have noticed this but it has bothered me. Admittedly I have been bothered by the boxy sound of the London cast album with Brightman and Crawford but that's another story.

The sound only comes to life during the Overture, the Phantom theme song and at similar loud passages. However, during the dialogue scenes and most of the other musical numbers you really have to strain to hear it.

Do you know of any other 2-channel mix of this recording and is it perhaps better than the one that was published on CD? Is there a way to tell Polydor or Really Useful about the sonic injustice?

Wed May 08, 2013 10:13 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Sound quality on CD of Albert Hall Anniversary recording
The one thing I've noticed about the soundtrack is just how low everything is [minus of course the overtune and 'Phantom of the Opera'], I literally have to have my volume at full to be able to hear what they're singing.

I'm sorry I can't help, but I've never heard of any better versions of this soundtrack, unfortunately.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:50 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I've got a funny feeling that the DVD of this production might probably yield better sound quality with a more spread-out soundstage.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:10 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Fan
Yeah, the sound quality on the CD is really poor compared to the DVD. Plus, the title song encore isn't included in the CD (though the encore for "Music of the Night" is). Grabbing the audio from the DVD to put on your music player would probably yield better results than buying the CD.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]