The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Raoul's part 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Performer
Post Raoul's part
Hey so I know Raoul's part has a range of A to A, my range is F to F. Do any of you know when that high A comes in? Is it something I can fake or put in my head voice? Please let me know if this is doable, I really want to do the part and people have told me have the right look, vocal tone, and personality. Please help.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:38 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Raoul's part
Bit of a late reply, but I happened upon your post today.

I went through the Piano/Vocal score and kept my eyes out for Raoul's parts. I didn't come across any High A's anywhere, nor any Ab's or G#'s.

What I did see was a good amount of High F's, E's, and Eb's. I think there were a couple G's in there, too. So he does need to be played with someone with a well-founded upper register. He's not necessarily a tenor (though could be played by one), but he's more the contemporary Broadway baritone.

Now, I know a few Raoul's (the original Toronto guy and Patrick Wilson in the film come to mind) who doubled Christine's line in "All I ask of you" - the climactic "Anywhere you go let me go, too" part which has a top Ab. But as written in the score, he's harmonizing with Christine by singing an F. (The Phantom is the one who needs to have a strong Ab, as it shows up at least three times fully-voiced)

As for whether or not you can sing Raoul's part, I can't tell you that. Your best bet is to get a hold of one of the complete recordings (OLC or OBC) and practice singing along. I will say that you need to have a very sure upper Baritone range if you want to do it well.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]