The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Looking for advice/help: keyboard/synthesizer part in POTO 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Looking for advice/help: keyboard/synthesizer part in POTO
Hello everyone, I found this forum looking for help from someone who has experience doing what I will be doing soon: playing the second keyboard part in the orchestra pit for a high school production.

I have played the keyboard part at my high school in the past for both Beauty and the Beast and Les Miserables, and loved performing with the group. I just received the part for Phantom, and it looks even easier than those two, though I'm sure some parts will turn out to be tricky, especially with key/time/instrument changes and timings.

Still, what I would like the most guidance with is the technical aspect. What instrument do you recommend? Are there any special sounds I should use for the show-specific sounds (pad and synth sounds, the "Phantom Bass" that keeps showing up in the score. For your reference, I think I will have access to a KORG Triton to use for the show (and it has an upgraded sound package above the default MIDI). Also, are there any sequenced sounds I should look for? Will the school I am working with be given click-tracks to use?

I had more to ask about, and I'm sure more questions will come up as rehearsals start. I will post as necessary. If you can offer any kind of help that I might need with performing in the pit, it would be most appreciated if you could offer it. I did not find much useful by Googling, and as the amateur rights have only been out for about a year, I'm sure that more people will be looking, and could be helped, by your experience.

Thank you!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]