The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Performers from original London cast, no longer with us! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Performers from original London cast, no longer with us!
Recently attended the 25th anniversary performance at the Royal Albert Hall. At the end Andrew Lloyd Webber paid tribute to John Aron, Mary Millar and Steve Barton who were in the Original London Cast and have sadly passed away. There was some talk afterwards that a couple of others had died from the original cast and were not mentioned by Lloyd Webber. Particular one of the chorus members called David DeVan. Does any one know what happened to him as I believe he was quite young and if anyone else has passed away from the Original cast that wasn't paid tribute to by Lloyd Webber at the performance?

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:00 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Performers from original London cast, no longer with us!
bennyboy wrote:
Recently attended the 25th anniversary performance at the Royal Albert Hall. At the end Andrew Lloyd Webber paid tribute to John Aron, Mary Millar and Steve Barton who were in the Original London Cast and have sadly passed away. There was some talk afterwards that a couple of others had died from the original cast and were not mentioned by Lloyd Webber. Particular one of the chorus members called David DeVan. Does any one know what happened to him as I believe he was quite young and if anyone else has passed away from the Original cast that wasn't paid tribute to by Lloyd Webber at the performance?

I think that apart from those you've listed, all the original cast members are still alive and kicking. I don't know about orchestra. As for creative team, Maria Bjørnson, set and costume designer, passed away in 2002. A great loss.

I wish I had some answer to give on David De Van... but no. Instead I have a photo:

"David De Van, in his understudy costume for Monsieur André. Sadly David passed away not long after these photographs were taken."
(page 44-47 in Marcus Tylor's "Phantom, the first year backstage 1986-1987)

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Performers from original London cast, no longer with us!
Yeah it's a mystery with David De Van. I have Marcus Tylor's book as well but I was reading on Rebecca Caine's twitter site after the 25th anniversary and she was paying tribute to De Van and I noticed that Lloyd Webber had missed him out.
From posting on other forums I believe some of the older members of the cast; David Jackson (the original Lefevre) and Mostyn Evans (Policeman) have passed away.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]