The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Love Never Dies London closure. 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Rock of Ages and Andrew Lloyd Webber
Main Role: Performer
Post Love Never Dies London closure.
Love Never Dies, fondly remembered by many as "Paint Never Dries", will be shutting up shop at the Adelphi theatre on August 27th, after a brief stint that didn't even last two years.

The announcement came via the Stage, a UK theatre goss website. Someone inside RUG was responsible, and this leak came without any knowledge of the cast or creatives - no notice, they found out that they would be unemployed via the internet. This is highly immature of RUG to do this, especially with allusions that the show would keep going due the fact the show was selling tickets past September.

Twitter has been in a frenzy with cast members, gossip pages and various other influential people tweeting madly about the decision.

Ramin Karimloo, the shows Phantom, said on his official facebook:
Quote:
...It has also been announced that Love Never Dies will close in London on Saturday 27th August 2011

Contrary to it's title, the love did die, in this case :(
Thanks for the memories x

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:41 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Love Never Dies London closure.
I think we all expected it to close this autumn, maybe right after the Phantom anniversary. But not like this. Not spitting the cast in the face like that! Ramin Karimloo was definitely taken by surprise. He's twittered quite a bit today, most noticable

1. If these announcements are indeed true, I'll let you all know. However if they are I am so sorry to my (our) supporters who have booked ...
2. Flights for the third of September for my final show. Again, if it is confirmed that we are indeed closing on the 27th of Aug.
http://twitter.com/#!/raminkarimloo

Gina Beck (former London Christine) also seems surprised by how it's been handled:
Can't believe the LND cast haven't been given their notice, yet it's all over the Internet. Disgraceful.
http://twitter.com/#!/Gina_Beck

And one of the supporting role actors also shared some frustration on Twitter:
NONE of the cast/crew have been told this! We are disgusted if this is true and has been released before informing us!
With the follow-up comment:
A lovely person from WOS, has e-mailed me to let me know that it is confirmed that LOVE NEVER DIES will close on the 27th August.x
http://twitter.com/#!/charlesbrunton

Basically, no-one is getting why 1. the cast was basically fired through the media, 2 that they were informed by email today, instead of by phone or in person, 3. that they choose to close on August 27th when SO many people has booked their tickets for Ramin's announced final show on September 3rd. I can't believe The Really Useful Group is getting away with treating people like this - again. Sunset Boulevard, Patti LuPone, The Adelphi, 1993 anyone?

Again, not surprised it closes, I expected as much from a show who's had discount tickets and half-filled house for most of its run. But for Andrew Lloyd Webber to first publicly say that the London production was no good, and then throw the cast and crew to the wolves like this.... I just didn't expect anyone to act thus... (fill in suitable word). :silent:

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:44 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

How is it RUG's fault though? They did not release it to the media first. Someone else did. Someone leaked the decision before they could tell the cast and crew. And the callous media who values a story more than decency and tact.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
I honestly don't care. I am just glad they are truly now closing this peice of junk.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
How is it RUG's fault though? They did not release it to the media first. Someone else did. Someone leaked the decision before they could tell the cast and crew. And the callous media who values a story more than decency and tact.

But surely they've had a (backup) plan of closing it for some time, it wasn't decided overnight. And when it hit media, they should have contacted at least the leads immediately. In this case it took almost 24 hours from the first articles was published until someone contacted them. And they were contacted through email.

Yes, media saw a good story would come out of springing the bomb, but it's bad handling still of the RUG. Did they not consider the risk of the press running the story? Of course they did. If they had cared for their cast, they would call them and inform on what exactly was going on. And they should have come with a bloody press statement. Instead they let the cast deal with questions from the press, from devastated fans, from snickering I-told-you-so's and whatnot. And the box office at the Adephi still had no info some hours ago as of when the show was closing. I just don't see any professional level behind this.

The only way to defend this is if the closing at the Adelphi is merely temporary, that they either plan to launch the Melbourne version at another theatre, or that they're planning a tour - of which the current cast will be hired. But I don't see that happening, not as early as September. So... I'm eagerly awaiting a press statement from the RUG.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

They probably had this date down as it's closure for a while, but it just seems ridiculous that they were so secretive about it, the box office didn't even know and was selling tickets all the way until January!

I hate all these people slagging the cast. Its not their fault it was such a bad show,and to find out that they will be unemployed via social media outlets was disgusting. True, we knew it was going to close, but also true, this was definitely the wrong way to deal with this.

I think, after the somewhat success of the Australian production, that that was the last straw for RUG to close the London production. ALW has said that the Aussie production is the one he's taking to New York...

I don't think revamping the London show would work, the audiences still don't like it.... I doubt many of them would go see it again..

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:42 pm

RUG has a long, sad history of treating its shows/performers in the most offhand, uncaring way imaginable.
Also of very poor judgment regarding the timing and decision to close shows.
The whole organisation is very poor at public relations - just look at their forum and how limited it is!

Paint Never Dries was never likely to be a success in London - the storyline is so weak and based in New York, obviously intended for the Broadway audiences from the start, and basically - it was BORING.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:13 am

Current Obsession: punctuation
There could also be bad morale at RUG and someone wanted the company to look bad and/or wanted to hurt the cast, and then leaked it to the press. Who knows?

BTW, to link to a specific tweet, click the time stamp for the direct URL.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:42 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
I've listened to the cast recording only once, and from that alone, I agree with many that it is Lloyd Webber's best score since Evita. The orchestration work is also a gem.

The book is a laughable mess but it benefited from what sounds like a fantastic, top-notch cast. It's a pity things turned out the way they did and in such an obviously disrespectful fashion. RUG or not, someone decided to act unprofessionally. I hope they get fired and don't get informed of it until everyone else knows.

I contemplated seeing it when I was in London back in September, but it takes more than a winning score to put butts upon seats.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:42 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Quique wrote:
I've listened to the cast recording only once, and from that alone, I agree with many that it is Lloyd Webber's best score since Evita. The orchestration work is also a gem.

Yes! The Coney Island Waltz is amazing! I love it so much! *waltzes around the room*

I have yet to actually see the Australian production (was going top go to preview night but decided against it), but it has been said that it is fantastic, and ALW approves, I may have to go and see it...

Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:15 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I've listened to the cast recording more than once, and I like "Coney Island Waltz" and a couple of other numbers, but I certainly don't think the score is the best thing since Evita or even close.
Despite the best efforts of the cast, the London show is closing. It looks like the Australian production is much more pleasing to the eye and pretty spectacular, but will glitz be enough to overcome the still weak book and the simple fact that an attempt at a sequel to one of the most successful musicals ever is probably not going to work? We'll see.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:22 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Pastiche wrote:
I've listened to the cast recording more than once, and I like "Coney Island Waltz" and a couple of other numbers, but I certainly don't think the score is the best thing since Evita or even close.

I would say it's his best since "Sunset Boulevard", but certainly not since "Evita"! I think it wants way too much, and it gets lost ever so often. His earlier compositions are tighter and/or more imaginative. At least, the score hasn't clicked quite with me. But objectively I know it's good. Just not ALW-at-his-best good.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next