Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
An Analysis of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post An Analysis of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Here is an interesting idea that popped up in the Random Facts Thread:

High-baritonne wrote:
I'm contemplating whether or not I should write an analysis of The Phantom of the Opera based on it's musical themes, motifs, lyrics and dramaturgy. Would anyone be interested in reading it, or would it just be for my own pleasure?

Quique wrote:
I'd be interested. Phantom is a true phenomenon in that it's the only musical that has achieved both extremes of opinion from me. There was a time the show truly mesmerized me and it was way up there in my mind with the greatest of the greatest. I never would have thought of telling you then (age 13) that I would someday doze-off during a performance and be absolutely stunned whenever I read online how it's the greatest Broadway musical in history because it's still running 25 years later.

I don't hate it, but it's a joke to me now. I can't believe I thought nothing of those lyrics back in the day, and never asked myself what they were achieving. I don't think there will ever be a musical with lyrics more pretentious and more meaningless than those of Phantom. And last time I saw it, during "All I Ask of You," I began chuckling. It suddenly hit me that the melody sounds like circus music...elaborately orchestrated.

I am sure there would be many here, particularly here in this forum, one dedicated to The Phantom of the Opera, who would be in interested in reading what you have to say about the show and the board could certainly use your contributions to liven things up a bit. It might be the basis for some excellent discussions.

Other thoughts?

Fri May 27, 2011 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: An Analysis of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
RainbowJude wrote:
I am sure there would be many here, particularly here in this forum, one dedicated to The Phantom of the Opera, who would be in interested in reading what you have to say about the show and the board could certainly use your contributions to liven things up a bit. It might be the basis for some excellent discussions.

Other thoughts?

I agree.

Quique wrote:
And last time I saw it, during "All I Ask of You," I began chuckling. It suddenly hit me that the melody sounds like circus music...elaborately orchestrated.

But this caught my eye, too. I'm not quite sure what constitutes "circus music". Like many here, I guess, I have tried to introduce theatre music to my friends. For a long while I have thought that it may be the theatricality of the voice that sings that puts people off theatre music. So I tried to play overtures to this one friend of mine, as they rarely feature voices and also provide samples from several songs in a short time.

Every time I have tried this, I am told "it sounds like circus music".

What does this mean? Can it be the realtively lively tunes? The relatively thick harmonies (as I am told they are in theatre music compared to "usual" pop music)?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sat May 28, 2011 12:59 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Thanks for the thread, David! I am sorry to say that it will take some time before I finish the analysis, I am currently going through the Vocal Score, finding the different motifs and figuring where they are repeated and whether the repeat is dramaturgical defensible or not.

Your excitement delights me!

Sat May 28, 2011 7:58 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
[quote="Hans]Like many here, I guess, I have tried to introduce theatre music to my friends. For a long while I have thought that it may be the theatricality of the voice that sings that puts people off theatre music. So I tried to play overtures to this one friend of mine, as they rarely feature voices and also provide samples from several songs in a short time.

Every time I have tried this, I am told "it sounds like circus music". [/quote]

Just out of interest, which overtures did you play? Because I've found that playing my friends things from shows like 'Sweeney Todd' or 'Les Miz' have got them interested in musical theatre. I don't know whether it's because they're more modern or ...

There is something (especially in ALW's shows) that does make you think of a circus when you hear the music, but like you i can't put my finger on what it is. In PotO, for me it occurs most when the Don Juan music starts, just before PONR. Maybe it's just the rhythms or the instrumentations :?:

Current roles: Emcee (Cabaret)
Upcoming: Auditioning for Les Miz

Mon May 30, 2011 5:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]