Musicals.Net
http://musicals.net/forums/

25th Anniversary
http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=82030
Page 1 of 5

Author:  moviemaniac [ Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:48 pm ]
Post subject:  25th Anniversary

This October, it will be the 25th anniversary of when The Phantom of the Opera first opened in London. Do you think they will do anything special for its silver anniversary like they did with Les Mis?

Author:  operafantomet [ Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

moviemaniac wrote:
This October, it will be the 25th anniversary of when The Phantom of the Opera first opened in London. Do you think they will do anything special for its silver anniversary like they did with Les Mis?


They've announced a concert version like that of Les Mis. Ramin Karimloo will be performing the role of the Phantom. I would rather have seen him as Raoul, and bring in one of the great Phantoms of the past for the lead, but there you go. There's also a tour planned for 2012, which will bee using all new staging. It'll tour the UK first, and maybe go worldwide or head for the US afterwards. I would not be surprised if we see Ramin Karimloo in that cast as well.

But for the actual celebration at Her Majesty's Theatre? If it's anything like the 25th anniversary of Les Mis, there'll be confetti and a speech, and the original cast will have to host a private party in a random restaurant... :roll:

But John Owen Jones has renewed his contract, I'd be surprised if he is NOT the one performing in the 25th anniversary show. However, it opened October 9th, which in 2011 is on a Sunday. London theatres are dark on Sundays. So the big celebration will probably be at the Saturday evening show.

And they have at least finally gotten up new posters outside the theatre. They all have a cracked design, and in lower right corner it's written "25 years". They are really, really cool.

Author:  Mungojerrie_rt [ Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

operafantomet wrote:
However, it opened October 9th, which in 2011 is on a Sunday. London theatres are dark on Sundays. So the big celebration will probably be at the Saturday evening show.


Really? How odd. It's Monday of no shows here. There is often two shows on a Sunday...

Shame they can't have Steve Barton there...

Author:  operafantomet [ Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
However, it opened October 9th, which in 2011 is on a Sunday. London theatres are dark on Sundays. So the big celebration will probably be at the Saturday evening show.


Really? How odd. It's Monday of no shows here. There is often two shows on a Sunday...

Same in Scandinavia, actually. I think it's like that in London because going to the theatre has been just as much an "obligation", something one ought to do, and which is done after work on workdays. Sunday is for leisure... if that makes sense. Though now I make it sound like the British thinks theatre is a chore. It's not like that. It's rather that they're proud of their theatre history, and theatre is an integral part of life and should just as well be done in a weekday. They do double shows on Tuesdays/Wednesdays and Saturdays there. And, as mentioned, it's often something done after work. Business people make up a large chunk of the West End audience.

For all I know British Equity might have something to do with it too.

Seems like it's about to change, though:
http://www.westendtheatre.com/1181/news ... day-shows/

Author:  superwickedfan33 [ Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

Cool! Glad to hear Ramin will be playing The Phantom, since he is a favorite of mine in the role. Wow. 25 years of Phantom. That is going to be an amazing celebration.

Author:  actor [ Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
However, it opened October 9th, which in 2011 is on a Sunday. London theatres are dark on Sundays. So the big celebration will probably be at the Saturday evening show.


Really? How odd. It's Monday of no shows here. There is often two shows on a Sunday...


I think having Monday dark nights is odder than Sunday. Sundays are a "day of rest", and I think it fits nicely to have a Saturday night performance be the last of the week rather than a Sunday matinee :? It's just so random for it to be Monday...

Author:  Yakko [ Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

I seem to be the only one who dissagree about the cast of Ramin...I'm sorry but I think they should've casted a much better actor to play Erik.

Author:  operafantomet [ Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

Yakko wrote:
I seem to be the only one who dissagree about the cast of Ramin...I'm sorry but I think they should've casted a much better actor to play Erik.

I'm not particularly thrilled about that casting either. Ramin Karimloo's Raoul is one of the coolest I've seen, but his Phantom(s) doesn't quite click with me. It's Ramin in a mask, in a way. And for such an iconic event, which I'm sure will be released on DVD, I'm saddened one of the truly great Phantoms of the past weren't asked. I think they should have gone for one with a lot more ooomph and experience. But I guess I can see what they're thinking from a commercial point of view.

Author:  Yakko [ Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

I swear if he tries that "Autistic" Erik for this again....I will lose it. When will he learn that Erik is everything but Autistic?

Author:  Pastiche [ Mon May 09, 2011 2:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

I never saw Ramin's Phantom, but he seemed to be popular. I can't imagine how he worked out a believable, affecting Phantom coming at the role with that autistic idea and ignoring the fact (fact in both Leroux and in POTO) that the Phantom is the way he is because of the treatment from infancy that his deformity brought him.

Author:  Yakko [ Sat May 21, 2011 11:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

Pastiche wrote:
I never saw Ramin's Phantom, but he seemed to be popular. I can't imagine how he worked out a believable, affecting Phantom coming at the role with that autistic idea and ignoring the fact (fact in both Leroux and in POTO) that the Phantom is the way he is because of the treatment from infancy that his deformity brought him.




Beileve me....He didn't.

Author:  Brother Marvin Hinten, S. [ Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 25th Anniversary

Actually, if he was attempting to play the Phantom as an Asperger's sufferer, that might fit the character a little better than straight-up autism when used in addition to the other plot elements discussed, but that's just my personal opinion.

Page 1 of 5 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/