The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
25th Anniversary 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: 25th Anniversary
Having only seen him in Love Never Dies, I must say that I lovev his performance as the Phantom! I think his approach to the character was beautiful all the way through.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:47 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Les Misérables
Main Role: Fan
I have never seen Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom, but I really loved him playing Enjolras in Les Mis. I think he is a great actor and singer, and I think he will do a great performance as the Phantom too! :D

Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:27 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Two questions:

1. Why, oh why, oh why do many Phans argue that Michael Crawford is too old to play the Phantom ever again on stage and was too long in the tooth to play him on film but use the "LOOKS DON'T MATTER!!!1!!1!" argument when trashing Ramin and Butler?

The Phantom is not supposed to be an orgasm inducing hottie visually, true, but the fact he is supposed to be repulsive looking (enough to make you and your orgasm want to die) means there is no such thing as "too old" looks-wise when it comes to casting for the role. Now, too old to perform on stage 8 times a week is one thing; too old to sing such a high score, as well, but I'm sure Crawford still has it in him to perform a one-off in celebration of the show's 25th anniversary. I'm actually surprised they did not go for Crawford for the concert. For the film, it makes sense, as they wanted a 'name,' but having Crawford back in celebration of the stage version's 25th would have been phenomenal.

I've also gotten the impression that hotties aren't welcome as the Phantom. Hogwash. Bologna. Hooey. Nonsense. Rubbish & poppycock!

While they certainly went overboard in the film, giving the Phantom an itty bitty scratch of a social out-casting deformity, the stage version assures any actor who graces the Her Majesty's and Majestic stages in the role will look like his head got run over by rush hour traffic. If female audiences rub their thighs and swoon at the sight of Ramin, they won't be doing anything the old Crawford groupies didn't do back in the day.

2. I also don't know what the big fuss is about over the Autistic thing. It's not like Ramin is trying to rewrite the novel, the role, or the reason the Phantom is a murderous lunatic. It's what a good actor does to add nuance and to drive their interpretation of a role; something to work from, an element from which his artistic eye will derive inspiration. Now if he suddenly sings "Stranger than you dreamt it. Can you even bear to look or bear to think of me; this loathsome, AUTISTIC gargoyle who burns in hell..." then y'all'd have a point.

Oh, and the 25th anniversary tour will feature GLORIOUS new staging and spectacular, re-imagined scenery inspired by the drawings of murderous lunatic John Wayne Gacy. I cannot wait.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:47 am

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Brother Marvin Hinten, S. wrote:
Actually, if he was attempting to play the Phantom as an Asperger's sufferer, that might fit the character a little better than straight-up autism when used in addition to the other plot elements discussed, but that's just my personal opinion.

I thought so too but after doing a lot of thinking I didn't think it works to well either. Mainly due to the fact that his isolation was caused by his disfigurement. And since he never went to a proper school or had any contact with the outside world in the early stages of his life he would have a lot of time to gather a ton of information on architecture and music.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I am a big Michael Crawford fan, but I don't think it would be a good idea for him to try to perform the whole show again. It's not just looks---he's lookin' good, but I have doubts that his voice would be up to the whole score. In the last concerts he did, I noticed that he had a little trouble with "soar" in "Music of the Night, " and that was a couple of years ago. Breath control and power notes were still fine, but they are not the whole thing.

I do not think he would be interested in playing the Phantom again, anyway. He's done that, has the honor and reputation and credit. Why would he want to play the role again? If his performance were not up to the standard that everyone has come to expect from memories and recordings, he is the loser. Also, it is a grueling proposition, playing the Phantom. He was very nearly retired and living in New Zealand until he got the offer to play the Wizard in The Wizard of Oz, a relatively small role and not very demanding. He has said he took it because his grandchildren had never seen him perform.

I don't see him playing the Phantom again.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:32 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
http://www.facebook.com/ThePhantomOfThe ... =1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/ThePhantomOfThe ... =1&theater

Set designs for the show, which many of you probably know is going to be held at the Royal Albert Hall.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

So, I gave in and ordered two tickets for the screening of the live performance here in Trondheim. I hope someone'll go with me, though :roll:

It's still unclear for me - will it be a concert version? Or a fully staged show? The web site says "fully staged", so why does people claim it will be only a concert?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
From the looks of it's a concert that has a full set.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:51 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: punctuation
Hans wrote:
It's still unclear for me - will it be a concert version? Or a fully staged show? The web site says "fully staged", so why does people claim it will be only a concert?

Probably because Les Miz was.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yakko wrote:
From the looks of it's a concert that has a full set.

What does that mean? Will the entire set be recreated at the hall, but the characters will still be standting in front of mikes at the edge of the stage singing out to the audience? Hm.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:15 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post 25th Anniversary
The set has been built, with a proscenium, as seen in the show. Many of the show's moments are recreated, but - I've read - the chandelier does not fall.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Nope. But it sparked and exploded. It was ok

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next