The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Phantom Backdrops? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Phantom Backdrops?
I'm trying to find pictures of the backdrops used in The Phantom of the Opera for the Hannibal, Il Muto ballet and Don Juan Triumphant scenes. Goggle isn't being much help. Does anyone have any good pictures from these scenes? Thanks for any help.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:09 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Phantom Backdrops?
HANNIBAL:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
1. Backdrop 1 for the Hannibal scene (Canada)
2. Backdrop 2 for the Hannibal scene (Canada)
3. Set from "Le Roi de Lahore", performed in Palais Garnier in 1877
4. Hannibal set (USA)
5. Hannibal/Il Muto set from the official Japanese website
6. Hannibal set (USA)

IL MUTO THE MOCK OPERA:
ImageImageImage
1. and 2. Copenhagen
3. Las Vegas

IL MUTO BALLET
ImageImageImageImageImage
1. Backdrop 1 for the Il Muto ballet (Canada)
2. Backdrop 2 for the Il Muto ballet (Canada)
3. Il Muto ballet set (USA)
4. Il Muto ballet set with the shadow (Japan)
5. Don't remember where this one is from...

DON JUAN TRIUMPHANT:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
1. Don Juan set (Brazil)
2. Don Juan set (Las Vegas)
3. Don Juan set (England)
4. Don Juan's bed room (Germany)
5. Don Juan table (Brazil)
6. Don Juan table (Argentina)

In general the Las Vegas production has extended many sets. I like what they've done with Masquerade, with adding the Palais Garnier facade in the "entr'acte", with fireworks and all. The boat scene is also lovely. But I really don't like the "Il Muto" and "Don Juan" sets. The Don Juan one is especially jarring to my eye. Rounded arches with pointed arches, fantasy column capitals and all... I see they've tried to make a moorish flair to the extended set, and make it more castle like, but the result is rather a failed Maria Bjørnson pastiche than a successful set extension. Not too crazy about the Il Muto one either, but at least they've managed to stick to a purer Rococo style.

Main reason for disliking them is still that it goes against the whole design concept Bjørnson had going. To quote a scenography web site:
Phantom of course toured worldwide and won Bjornson a Tony award for her costume and set design. This was perhaps because her design and approach to this famous story was almost “non-commercial” – the design feels huge, impressive and incredibly operatic, even epic at times. Yet when you observe Bjornson’s staging methods, selection of structure and of object, you realise that she suggests much more than she ever literally describes to you. And costume it seems plays a greater role than scenic elements, all of which is usually the signature of a non-commercial production.
http://sceno.org/theatre-design-101/the ... -bjornson/

This is the basis of her original design. But the fleshed-out Vegas sets rules out the possibility of letting the audience "fill in" the blanks. There are no blanks. Instead you get period-confused and (might I say) oldfashioned sets. It might appear grander, but I prefer the suggestive originals.

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Thanks so much! Do you also have a picture of the rooftop scene for "All I Ask of You"? I'm looking for that too. Thanks so much for your help.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:12 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Here's the rooftop backdrop:

ImageImageImageImageImage

1. The inspiration: rooftop of Palais Garnier in Paris (where Phantom is set). This picture is seen from the opposite angle of the POTO set.
2. Rooftop from Las Vegas, I think it's Kirsti Holden and Ryan Silverman.
3. Rooftop (with a photoshopped angel) from West End. Phantom is David Shannon. Alas I don't have a bigger scan, it's in the newest brochure.
4. Rooftop set, I think this one is from Canada. Unlike other productions, they had real stellar constellations in the background.
5. Rooftop set from Hamburg, with Colby Thomas and Björn Olsson. This is one of my favourite pictures.

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]