The Resource For Musicals



The Phantom of the Opera Forum


Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
[question] Difference between London and Boradway Phantom 
Author Message
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:32 pm
Posts: 2
Post [question] Difference between London and Boradway Phantom
I have seen the London version 3 years ago, now I'm in NYC and I wonder if it worth $110 to see it again. Had anyone seen both and could provide some comparison.

I've seen the official released photos for the Broadway version, they seem quite similar to the London version that I've seen.

VL


Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:45 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:25 am
Posts: 429
Location: Norway
Post Re: [question] Difference between London and Boradway Phanto
yck011522 wrote:
I have seen the London version 3 years ago, now I'm in NYC and I wonder if it worth $110 to see it again. Had anyone seen both and could provide some comparison.

I've seen the official released photos for the Broadway version, they seem quite similar to the London version that I've seen.

VL

The musical is a replica production, meaning it is supposed to appear identical all over the world. There are little difference between the West End and Broadway production, mostly some lyric changes and blocking alternations. I do, however, find the dynamic of the productions a bit different, with Broadway being a tad more polished "money note" versions (this is not meant as a negative comment) and West End a tad more experimental. But you might have to be a die-hard fan to notice the differences. I've seen Phantom in three countries, and they all have their different flair, but as mentioned they are supposed to be identical in looks and sound.

The current Broadway cast is very good, I think. John Cudia is an interesting Phantom, less about the money notes and with an intense, yet held-back portrayal. And I think Jennifer Hope Wills is a fresh Christine with a beautiful voice.

Whether its worth your money or not is up to you to decide. There are many great musicals on Broadway; if "Mary Poppins" is still playing I'd highly recommend that. Or "Next to Normal". But good ol' Phantom is never wrong, especially not with a strong cast. :D

_________________
.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:19 pm
Posts: 2846
Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Post 
If you're a die-hard fan, definitely see it for Cudia. I saw his Phantom on tour in Toronto a few years back, and he wa just wonderful.

_________________
"No, you can't pour live ants all over Ingrid Bergman!"


Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:33 am
Profile
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:32 pm
Posts: 2
Post 
tks guys, good advice, i'll see how much money i got left in my pocket.
I'm a pretty die-hard fan though, but money is limiting.

tks
VL


Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:25 am
Profile
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:46 am
Posts: 230
Post 
yck011522 wrote:
tks guys, good advice, i'll see how much money i got left in my pocket.
I'm a pretty die-hard fan though, but money is limiting.

tks
VL


I have never seen the Broadway, but I do know that some of the West End lyrics are not the same as they were when it first opended. For instance the middle sections of "Think of Me", and the intro of "Masquerade". So it is likely that the West End was changed to match the Broadway.


Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:57 am
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:25 am
Posts: 429
Location: Norway
Post 
mantarnia wrote:
yck011522 wrote:
tks guys, good advice, i'll see how much money i got left in my pocket.
I'm a pretty die-hard fan though, but money is limiting.

tks
VL


I have never seen the Broadway, but I do know that some of the West End lyrics are not the same as they were when it first opended. For instance the middle sections of "Think of Me", and the intro of "Masquerade". So it is likely that the West End was changed to match the Broadway.

Eeeerm... Rather the other way around.

The "Think of Me" lyrics has been changed multiple times, from "What has time done to me?" in Sydmonton to a slightly more familiar version in the London previews, to the OLC version, and to today's version. When POTO opened on Broadway in 1988 the newest lyric (post-CD version) was adapted, as far as I know.

Part of the reason why the CD lyric was changed was that so many thought Steve Barton (Raoul) sung "What a change, you're really not a bitch... The gawkish girl that once you were". :lol: Instead he was given the lines "Long ago, it seems so long ago, how young and innocent we were...". But lots of Christine's lines were changed, too.

As for the Masquerade lyrics, I don't know why B'way use another one. The original is still used in West End (and, I think, other English languaged productions like the World Tour). B'way also use a different lyric for "Prima Donna". In West End Carlotta sings part of it in Italian, but on B'way it's all English. Small changes like that occurs, but I think you need to be a "die hard fan" to notice the lyric changes.

_________________
.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:46 am
Posts: 230
Post 
operafantomet wrote:
mantarnia wrote:
yck011522 wrote:
tks guys, good advice, i'll see how much money i got left in my pocket.
I'm a pretty die-hard fan though, but money is limiting.

tks
VL


I have never seen the Broadway, but I do know that some of the West End lyrics are not the same as they were when it first opended. For instance the middle sections of "Think of Me", and the intro of "Masquerade". So it is likely that the West End was changed to match the Broadway.

Eeeerm... Rather the other way around.

The "Think of Me" lyrics has been changed multiple times, from "What has time done to me?" in Sydmonton to a slightly more familiar version in the London previews, to the OLC version, and to today's version. When POTO opened on Broadway in 1988 the newest lyric (post-CD version) was adapted, as far as I know.

Part of the reason why the CD lyric was changed was that so many thought Steve Barton (Raoul) sung "What a change, you're really not a bitch... The gawkish girl that once you were". :lol: Instead he was given the lines "Long ago, it seems so long ago, how young and innocent we were...". But lots of Christine's lines were changed, too.

As for the Masquerade lyrics, I don't know why B'way use another one. The original is still used in West End (and, I think, other English languaged productions like the World Tour). B'way also use a different lyric for "Prima Donna". In West End Carlotta sings part of it in Italian, but on B'way it's all English. Small changes like that occurs, but I think you need to be a "die hard fan" to notice the lyric changes.

The intro Masquerade west end lyrics are most certainly NOT the same as they were when it first opened, I have seen the west end within the last couple of years.


Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.