The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
A PSA ANNOUNCMENT 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mistress wrote:
It's freaking opinion! It doesn't matter how it's stated, it's pretty damn clear that it's opnion The recording is apparantly pretty much the full show and very detailed plotwise. It's enough to discern the main plot points-the night-before-the-wedding tryst, the Pahntom's "realization" of Gustav's paternity, etc. I think the people are in the right to judge based on the recording alone. It gives them enough detail todo it adequately, I think. Why can pros state their opinions and not cons? No ones taking down praise videos.

Waht most fans are protesting is the arbitrary hacking of charcater arcs and chnaging of personalities out of nowhere-I mean, we all assumed that it was established that the Phantom loved her so much he let her go with the man who would make her HAPPY, after her one act of kindness to him...yet he decides to drag her to Coney Island anyway. You'd think he'd know that it didn't end well ebfore so it probably wouldn't end well now. And when did the kiss translate to "I'll come back to have sex with later"? (I will restate that I do love Beneath a Moonless Sky-it actually makes the scene cpme off as quite beautiful and sensual rather than just a silly plot device)...

*nods head* A-GREED! As long as people have some sort of resource, I think they should be able to state their opinion on them.

What I was saying is some are saying their opinion and others are stating fact which isn't fact. there are people stupid enough to believe something stated as fact is fact...I'm around them all the time.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

8O This is quite a surprise. Geez RUG needs to get their panies out of the wad that they are in. This is the first time that I have ever heard of a production company taking down an anti-show group/organization! As other people have said before, it's just not right for the company to go and do something like this. They need to get a grip.

It is their right. Rug has been very lax about copyright. Just look at youtube. For once they are enforcing it. Leave is a few years until the show is going, then they will probably leave it alone.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:21 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
It's not so much about copyright (that I can understand although it doens't make me happy), it's the fact that they're raging over an anti-show group. I mean whe has ANY production company done that EVER? It's something out of an Orwell novel, totally fascist.

And Jekkie, do you really believe that the Phantom, after so angstily proclaiming "It's over now, the music of the night" after so final a departure from Chrisitne be like "I'm bored, I think I'll go stalk Christine again"? Hell, Leroux's phantom freaking DIES of a bloody broken heart at the end. I feel that he feels things keenly, almost like Fosca in Passion. He doesn't come across to me as someone who could just pick up and leave and start over 9David Staller 's Phantom could and does do that, for anyone who follows the Phantom Reviewer on Youtube). From what I've been able to discern, he's uncharacteristically cocky/arrogant. I mean, he's still all angsty for Christine, but it comes across as a self absorbed "woe is me" angst with the way he neglects the Girys. Once again, I re-iterate' at least POM stayed close to the original characters. Meg is still sweet kind Meg. The Phantom is angsty still, but it's not so off, Raoul is still the noble hero and Christine is still Christine. I mean, if Chrisitne had sex with the Phantom, she wouldn't have been trampy enough to do it the night before her wedding. So not classy. Plus I am adiment, though I guess others aren't, that there was no love on Christine's part for the Phantom. I stick by Leroux (and got forbid, the 2004 movie) that the kiss was an "I'm sorry for being so bitchy to you" thing and that Webber made it a mouth kiss just for the sake of making it more dramatic. There was sexual curiosity and pity on Christine's part throughout the show, yes. Was it love and high romance? No. That's really why this sequel isn't working too well for me.

I can't leave this alone I think becuase I have a love-hate thing going on with it. The plot IMO, is generally horrendous, but the music is nice and the cast good and strong and able to actually hold the thing together. I'm torn between being able to enjoy it and angsting over the plot.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's never happened before because there has never been the same amount of whiny bitching from fans about something they haven't even seen.

I think Meg is the only character who doesn't seem right. The rest work fine.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
RUG have posted a statement on the LND facebook page.

And Mungo I love you <3 :lol:

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:08 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
RUG have posted a statement on the LND facebook page.

And Mungo I love you <3 :lol:

Link, please.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:27 am
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
It's never happened before because there has never been the same amount of whiny bitching from fans about something they haven't even seen.

I think Meg is the only character who doesn't seem right. The rest work fine.

So listening to the cast recording doesn't count? It reveals the ENTIRE plot. That's the primary complaint. If they were complaining about the sets or whatever withouit ahving seen the show, then that would be a problem. But when you hear, say the bet on the CD and don't like it, you can bitch about it as much as you want because you heard it with your own ears even if you didn't see it. They're complaining about points that easily pulled out of the recording and don't require an actual viewing. Christine and the Phantom did the nasty. It doesn't matter if you saw the number or heard the song, you still know they did the nasty. And some people REALLY don't like that. They have every write to say so and voice their opinion.

I'm sorta inclined to agree with you on the characters. Most of is at least barable to me, after the initial shock of reading the plot details for the first time. Meg took the brunt of the mess, but I can't hoonestly say Madame Giry is un-cannon, as from what I remember of the half of the Leroux novel I read, she was rather ambitious for her daughter and sought the Phantom's favour, and he did get Meg made the lead ballerina as a thank-you. I don't mind Christine, she's not that bad, (like I said, BaMS actually made the sex sublot barable, even acceptable/enjoyable. The sensuality of the piece seems to fit well with Webber's characterization of Christine and the Phantom in the original where she did exhibit a sexual curiosity, as I've mentioned before). I can't say much for the Phantom as, oddly, the songs haven't give me a feel yet of what he's like, though people have said that he's lost his menace. All I can really get is angst for the most part, maybe some anger and snideness with Raoul, but I need to hear more. Raoul I could live with, if the bet subplot wasn't there, because it makes him come off as an insincere jackass as opposed to a flawed man in crisis, which would've done wonders to revitilize his character. I just don't like seeing him go unredeemed...

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:00 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
And yet some people seem to want to deny the Phantom the same thing. Fighting against the sequel or else saying that he should be more like his old self. People change over ten years. And it's not the entire show. The entire show probably wouldn't fit. There are always cuts made. There are probably additional lines in between songs which explain more.

http://www.facebook.com/loveneverdies

Quote:
RUG would like to make it clear that, contrary to various Internet reports, we have no involvement in nor prior knowledge of the deletion of the Facebook page ‘Love Should Die’. The only people who are able to shut down a Facebook page are the administrators of the site or the original creators of the page itself. We have no wish to stifle public debate about the show, indeed we welcome it, as proved by the facility on the LOVE NEVER DIES website where the public can upload their reviews of the show, as well as this Facebook page, which has over 20,000 fans.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It seems like the entire show to me. However these same people were bitching before the cast recording came out...and people are bitching who have only heard 2 songs on youtube and haven't actually bought the cast recording. I respect people who bitch, if they're smart and back up their reasons.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2