The Resource For Musicals



The Phantom of the Opera Forum


Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Love Never Dies... Australia?? 
Author Message
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 am
Posts: 19
Location: Australia
Post 
I'm agree. I'd like Marina Prior to get the part. She'd be a good choice in terms of age, voice etc.

Unless, like the movie and, to an extent LND, they want younger actresses. ALW had Katherine Jenkins in mind as Christine at first, then chose Sierra. They're both in their late 20's but look younger. It felt like they were picking younger actors for the London production, so who knows about Australia.


Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:56 am
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:08 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Aussie, mate
Main Role: Performer
Post 
The Very Angry Woman wrote:
iOTA could play The Phantom.


Hahaha. That actually wouldn't be that bizarre considering the show. :lol:

_________________
Currently: Charlotte- Oliver!
Last: Helena/Titania U/S- Midsummer Nights Dream
Belle- Beauty and the Beast


Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:31 am
Posts: 1962
Post 
TresAmusant wrote:
I'm agree. I'd like Marina Prior to get the part. She'd be a good choice in terms of age, voice etc.

Unless, like the movie and, to an extent LND, they want younger actresses. ALW had Katherine Jenkins in mind as Christine at first, then chose Sierra. They're both in their late 20's but look younger. It felt like they were picking younger actors for the London production, so who knows about Australia.


Helen Donaldson would fit the bill.


Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:32 am
Profile
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Australia
Post 
In one sense, it might have been nice to have had Phantom and Love Never Dies playing side by side. Commercially it would have been a good move in terms of "package deals", and it would have been good for Australia's frail music-theatre industry to have to parallel performances playing off one another.
I really only want to see it for curiosity's sake, considering I firmly believe that the Phantom empire should have stopped at one, but I will be very disappointed if the main characters are too young.

_________________
CURRENT: Wicked Witch of the West - Wizard of Oz

PAST FAVOURITES: Regan- King Lear & Pepicek - Brundibar

DREAM ROLES: Eliza Doolittle, Hedda Gabler and Lady M


Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:37 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:06 pm
Posts: 1143
Location: Australia
Main Role: Performer
Post 
TresAmusant wrote:
Personally, I don't think Anthony Warlow would want to do the Phantom again. He only did the 07 tour because of his daughter. However, I have a feeling Roy Weissensteiner will be the Australian LND Phantom.


Anthony is also the lead in Dr. Zhivago which opens in 2011.

Buff :D

_________________
2003 Forum Award Winner Best Personality
All-Star Musical Character Enjolras (Les Mis)
Theme Song "Do You Hear the People Sing" (Les Mis)


Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 30
Post Re: Love Never Dies... Australia??
Despite what some people have said, the right age for Christine is late 20's because she is in her teens in Phantom, and Love Never Dies is based only about 10 years after Phantom. So going by that Marina Prior unfortunately would be too old for the part.


Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:40 am
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:25 am
Posts: 429
Location: Norway
Post Re: Love Never Dies... Australia??
drbuc wrote:
Despite what some people have said, the right age for Christine is late 20's because she is in her teens in Phantom, and Love Never Dies is based only about 10 years after Phantom. So going by that Marina Prior unfortunately would be too old for the part.


In the movie version she is a teen. In Leroux she is 19-20 somewhere (she's graduated from the academy, and is now working at the opera). Her age is never told in the stage version, but when it opened in 1986 is was fairly close to Leroux, and the background stories more loosely told than in the movie. So in the stage version it can go both ways.

As for "Love Never Dies", I still want to maintain that 1881+10 does not 1906 make... And even worse if the go by the movie, which is set in 1870. That's 36 years later!

_________________
.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:29 am
Posts: 1854
Location: New York
Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Love Never Dies... Australia??
Anyone who's on Facebook needs to "Friend" Love Should Die. The "Notes from the Real Phantom" literally made me laugh out loud...they're surprisingly well-done.

_________________
"Ms. Darbus" in Disney's High School Musical, "Margot Frank" in The Diary of Anne Frank, "Princess Number Twelve" in Once Upon a Mattress, ensembles of Cinderella, The Music Man, and Sweeney Todd


Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:20 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:18 pm
Posts: 3165
Location: NYC as of 2011. Formerly SF Bay Area.
Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Love Never Dies... Australia??
SomeoneLikeYou wrote:
Anyone who's on Facebook needs to "Friend" Love Should Die. The "Notes from the Real Phantom" literally made me laugh out loud...they're surprisingly well-done.


'Tis a pity you couldn't copy and paste the URL.

_________________
The Very Angry Woman

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.
_________________
This just in! People can be mean on the internet. (NPR)


Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:29 am
Posts: 1854
Location: New York
Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Love Never Dies... Australia??
My apologies...I'm happy to oblige.

http://www.facebook.com/luvshoulddie?v=info

_________________
"Ms. Darbus" in Disney's High School Musical, "Margot Frank" in The Diary of Anne Frank, "Princess Number Twelve" in Once Upon a Mattress, ensembles of Cinderella, The Music Man, and Sweeney Todd


Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:35 pm
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 30
Post Re: Love Never Dies... Australia??
Marina has already stated she will not be apart of Love Never Dies - regardless of whether she would have been appropriate. She is previously engaged in Mary Poppins. On her age sge is in her late thirties or just 40 and could pass for 30 with stage maleup so really was not too old for the part at all.
I also saw Roy Weissensteiner and would love for him to play it in this show. I actually feel it could be a good show.


Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:15 am
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 30
Post Re: Love Never Dies... Australia??
te amo wrote:
In one sense, it might have been nice to have had Phantom and Love Never Dies playing side by side. Commercially it would have been a good move in terms of "package deals", and it would have been good for Australia's frail music-theatre industry to have to parallel performances playing off one another.

I really only want to see it for curiosity's sake, considering I firmly believe that the Phantom empire should have stopped at one, but I will be very disappointed if the main characters are too young.


I would agree it isn't London or New York, but it is by no means a frail industry. If you take Melbourne or Sydney individually, both always have at least two major shows on at a time each, and generally there is always at least one major touring production in another city in the country, and the industry here is always expanding.

Not an attack, just I felt it needed saying.


Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:28 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.