The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
LND - What would you change? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
Post LND - What would you change?
All of the not-so-good LND reviews that I have seen have referred to the story, and a few also to the lyrics. Personally I love the show despite it's few faults and would really hate to see it close early. I was wondering in the early hours of this morning while trying to get to sleep if it might be possible to... for want of a better term... come to a compromise between the fans and the writers, or to help them out a little by perhaps suggesting ways in which they might be able to improve the show in the eyes of the slightly more critical fans.

I thought perhaps we could discus it, and then later on perhaps we could write a letter containing our suggestions. Of course there is no guarantee that they'd take note of any of it. It would, after all, be a little cheeky to send one as it's their work. But if there's a chance it could help them out, then it has to be worth a few posts, right? And they did already ask the preview audiences what they thought could be tweaked, I believe.

So - without just insulting it ;) - what would you change? Would you like to see, for example, more of an explanation for the changes in the characters?

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think everything is fine except the finale. I think there needs to be a more dramatic conclusion after the gunshot. Maybe the Phantom's murderous streak resurfacing and him attempting to "deal" with Meg.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Better yet, let there not be a gunshot after all. CHANGE THE FREAKING ENDING ENTIRELY. :x

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Nah...it's a good ending upon listenting to it a second time...Meg just needs a conclusion.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
EVERYTHING ABOUT IT! KEEP THE SONGS AND USE IT FOR A DIFFRENT MUSICAL! J

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Preserve the continuity of the original better, even though the plot itself almost completely contradicts "POTO"'s ending.

Keep the Phantom as an obsessive, murdering, deformed psychopath as in the original and make Raoul more like in "Phantom of Manhattan."

And finally, kill the Phantom.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:58 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It desperately needs a better story to tell, and a better turning point (not "Will Christine sing or not?"). Even the quite-awful "Phantom of Manhattan" book is way better than the musical's story line, because there's actually some logic and continuity to it. And I say that as a major non-fan of the book.

I would also love to see the Phantom as THE PHANTOM. The frightening, yet utterly fascinating guy from the original, the one which is barely on stage but still dominates the whole show, the guy with an unlimited genius, the enigmatic guy people end up loving, pitying and adoring, despite him being a murderer and kidnapper. The puffy-shirt-dressed-and-bartending Phantom in the sequel comes off as quite a dumb guy (not knowing where Meg got her money? Not knowing Meg was crazy about him? Not understanding that the boy was apparently her son before he clunked five notes on the piano? Being unable to avoid the love of his life getting shot - by accident? Forgot your punjab lasso at home, did you?), and he's also so whimpy. Doesn't help that Ramin Karimloo looks 25 in the role, when he's supposed to be 10 years older than the starting point.

As for Christine, she doesn't seem to have a personality at all, but that's not her strongest card in the original either, so.... (depends a lot on who's doing the role, I've seen some fantastic interpretations lifting the role to a whole new level, and I've seen someone looking and appearing as blank as I feel Sierra Boggess does).

And please, new lyrics. The current ones are so flat. Some of the rhymes and lines makes me gag. And I think there should be a limit to how many times you're allowed to use the word "beautiful".

So, in short... A new story or plot, puh-leeeease. And since the whole thing envolves around the Phantom and Christine, these characters needs to be a lot stronger and more fascinating. The lyrics need to sound better than what a teenage girl much in love would write. And I actually wouldn't mind a more coherent score with songs that developed.

Last, but not least... Don't claim the musical is set 10 years after the original, when the official note now say the original is set in 1881...

1907 minus 1881 = ?

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:50 am
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Doesn't help that Ramin Karimloo looks 25 in the role, when he's supposed to be 10 years older than the starting point.

Karimloo IS 25. Or maybe it's 29? Either way he's VERY young, even to play the role in the original POTO. Other than that, I totally agree with everything you said about POM at the beginning, except that I kinda like it-it's my guilty pleasure XP

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:08 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
Are there any particular ways in which you think the Phantom could be more like he was before? Reactions to things? Maybe attacking someone at some point? What if something were to be written in stating that he actively tried to change so that he could go back to Christine and have more of a chance?

Christine herself... honestly the character always did seem a little flat to me. Any ideas for what could be done to fix that? The more specific you are, the less likely they are to misunderstand.

Killing the Phantom.. Agh. I really don't think that would ever be written in and personally I would prefer if it wasn't. :lol: I could see him attacking Meg though at the end.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Fleck mention a fire in the prologue? I have the CD but I haven't actually seen the show on stage yet. I don't think it was mentioned again after that. Is there a fire in the background or something?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yeah I was wondering about the fire. I think the phantom saying "It's over now, the music of the night" could also symbolize that his magic and angelic tricks are also over. He's given up being the phantom and subjecting himself to being a man. So I think the shift is appropriate....I think he's mature enough to not play hide and seek anymore.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

operafantomet wrote:
Doesn't help that Ramin Karimloo looks 25 in the role, when he's supposed to be 10 years older than the starting point.

Karimloo IS 25. Or maybe it's 29? Either way he's VERY young, even to play the role in the original POTO. Other than that, I totally agree with everything you said about POM at the beginning, except that I kinda like it-it's my guilty pleasure XP

32. But I agree...Phantom should be 40 by this point.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It desperately needs a better story to tell, and a better turning point (not "Will Christine sing or not?").

Well it's no mystery that she'll choose to sing as she doesn't know about the bet. It's not supposed to be a mystery, it's just supposed to be kind of heartbreaking that she doesn't realize Raoul is now betting their marriage and it's also equally sad when he sends her the "Little Lotte" note.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next