The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
"Wandering Child" Trio 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post "Wandering Child" Trio
I always found the "Wandering Child" trio on the OLCR to be quite beautiful...does anyone know why they only use it in the London production?

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:09 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
I guess because no one wants to listen to Raoul......Just kidding. I really don't know.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:59 pm
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I'm in love with the Wilkinson/Caine Wandering Child from the OCC highlights recording. Their voice blend so beautifully together. It's great, until Bryon Nease comes blundering in XD. He does a good AISOU, but he gets irritating in other spots, especially here XP.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:15 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Even though London originated it, I get bothered by the fact that they get the trio/new Red Death blocking/him still disappearing via trapdoor after "Masquerade" and a faster chandelier. Though I know the reasoning for the latter two.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:38 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Do they only use it in London then? What does every other production use - the same but without Raoul? I agree it's one of the highlights.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:26 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Yes, on Broadway and all North American productions, in fact, maybe all other productions, it's a duet between the Phantom and Christine. Raoul's part is instrumental, he doesn't appear until the end of the song with dilaogue that leads the Phantom to shoot the fireballs from his cane.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:11 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Do they only use it in London then? What does every other production use - the same but without Raoul? I agree it's one of the highlights.

They've used the trio in the non-replica production in Hungary (and - I think, but don't quote me on it - Poland). It also appeared briefly in the US when Steve Barton still was Raoul, but only for a couple of performances, because the other cast members wanted to hear how the trip sounded. This according to members of the casts on Broadway and in Los Angeles.

The Vienna production also had a variant - it was performed as a duo but with the Phantom singing another harmony similar to the one Raoul does in the OLC CD.

But other than that, it's the duo you'll hear in all productions of POTO worldwide.

Rumours has it that there are disagreements between Andrew Lloyd Webber and Hal Prince about whether it should be a trio or duo. But I've never really heard who's preferring what. Considering how Hal Prince is closest to the Broadway production and ALW to the London one, one might conclude ALW is the one preferring the trio. But Hal Prince is the one defending the Raoul/Christine relationship. He recently said in an interview that although most audience members love the thought of Christine and the Phantom, the majority also know Raoul is the sane choice. He went as far as to saying the story cannot and will not have another ending. So it makes me think it might be Hal Prince who wants to keep the trio version?

This is mere speculations, though. Nothing official has ever been said on the matter. And it might be a question of orchestration rather than character development. But I must say that every time I see it in London I find it fascinating that Raoul also seems to fall under the spell of the Phantom, or at least sensing his extreme power, and that this is the point he finally understands what Christine is experiencing. I think this element lacks when they perform it as a duo.

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Thank you for attempting to clear that up for me.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]