The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The LOVE NEVER DIES Recording 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
What bothers me about this (well, many things) is the setting. PotO was gorgeous...the romance and beauty of an opera house in the City of Lights, compared to a boardwalk in Brooklyn.

To be fair, I've actually never been to Coney Island, (and to think I'm a native New Yorker) but I'd probably take the dreaminess of 19th century Paris over it any day...

First off all it would be coney island in its heydays, not the present state. Second I bet my two cents on that ALW will hire a guy (or girl) thats make all the scenaries work rather than realistic replicas thats in the original. And since its a follow on its safe to say all the settings have to be bigger and better than the original (hard to beat the boat trip thou) so I wouldnt worry on this point.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:37 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That's the Place You Ruined, You Fool sounds like it could be a good number in the mood/style of notes. I hope it is.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I know the actual song titles don't mean that much since we haven't heard the score but... some of these titles don't seem to bode well

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:25 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:18 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Well the entire show took place in an Opera House, A graveyard, and A lair. So there wasn't much City of Lights....

---Not much, but the rooftop scene during "All I Ask of You" gives us a glimpse.

Jekkienumber24601 wrote:
I think this is gonna be good. Maybe not better than Phantom, Superstar, or Sunset Boulevard, but better than his others.

Why do you think so?

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:51 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
SomeoneLikeYou wrote:
What bothers me about this (well, many things) is the setting. PotO was gorgeous...the romance and beauty of an opera house in the City of Lights, compared to a boardwalk in Brooklyn.

To be fair, I've actually never been to Coney Island, (and to think I'm a native New Yorker) but I'd probably take the dreaminess of 19th century Paris over it any day...

Well the entire show took place in an Opera House, A graveyard, and A lair. So there wasn't much City of Lights....I think this is gonna be good. Maybe not better than Phantom, Superstar, or Sunset Boulevard, but better than his others.

Sorry but Love Never Dies and good can not mix. I still think this is the musical that will destroy careers.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Sorry but Love Never Dies and good can not mix. I still think this is the musical that will destroy careers.

Crap shoot...like all big musicals only more so because it is a sequel and because it is a sequel to one of the best known and most popular musicals ever. Trading on the brand name might help the producers, but it could just as well hurt them.

I dislike the whole idea of the sequel and hope it will sink like an lump of lead in a deep pool. I would feel more sorry for the talented people involved, but they are gambling that they, in the case of the two leads, for instance, are going to be the new Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford. I really can't figure out just what Lloyd Webber is thinking or why he has persisted in doing this sequel. Will *his* career be substantially hurt by one more show that isn't as successful as The Phantom of the Opera?

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Given the success off POTO Ill bet my two cents that ALW will smile all the way to the bank if LND is only a tenth off that success. And ALW has showed an great eye to whats make money before so I dont think its any use to be sleeples on his behalf.

If I only could write a musical thats as known as the leastest known off his musicals I would be more than happy. :wink:

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:44 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Given the success off POTO Ill bet my two cents that ALW will smile all the way to the bank if LND is only a tenth off that success. And ALW has showed an great eye to whats make money before so I dont think its any use to be sleeples on his behalf.

Believe me, I'm not losing any sleep on his behalf. If the sequel went belly-up after its first week (not going to happen), he could buy everything I own with his pocket change (...except rich people tend not to carry money).

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A bit jellous? As far as I am concerned ALW has earned every cent with hard work over the decades. As I said somewhere else: If anything I create could be as famous as his least known musical I would be more than happy.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:15 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

They don't sound like particularly inspired titles, but then "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" has surely got to be one of the worst titles in musical theatre, and it's still a (reasonably) good song, so I won't judge the show just yet.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:00 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Compared to some of the other shows coming to broadway...I think this one looks slighty good *prepares to be attacked*. Everything now is based on movies...so bland...
Yeah this will still probably suck (because sequels always do) but compared to like Addams Family:The Musical and Spiderman:the Musical, its at least some what good sounding...and the music will probably be good...just trying to be a tad bit positive here...

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next