The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Love Never dies announced etc.. SAMPLE TRACK 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I yield the floor to the Sondheim fans who make up the largest body of those who find "Music of the Night" (and a lot of other ALW music) boring.

Do you think we find The Music Of The Night boring because we are SJS fans?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:15 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I love the song, but I hate the fact that it is in a musical, because on it's own it is beautiful, within the show it's boring and unnecessary. My favorite composer is Stephen Sondheim, yet I thought "Music of the Night" was a badly written musical song even before I knew who Stephen Sondheim was.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:27 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Pastiche wrote:
I yield the floor to the Sondheim fans who make up the largest body of those who find "Music of the Night" (and a lot of other ALW music) boring.

Do you think we find The Music Of The Night boring because we are SJS fans?

No, not *because* you are Sondheim fans, but I've found that people who admire Sondheim a lot often dislike some or all of Andrew Lloyd Webber. They also tend to be very vocal about their distaste for "Aspects of ALW." They admire carefully crafted lyrics and sophisticated music and are sometimes annoyed that the simpler, melodic ALW music is so very popular.

This is a generalization, but a lot of posters on a number of boards, especially theater boards like Talkin' Broadway, are just this way.

Others like MungoJerry just seem to be easily bored. :wink:

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:02 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: LOVE NEVER DIES Songs
Damask and Dark wrote:
Also, did I miss something, or what has happened to the deformed half of the Phantom's face?

Um... you do understand that this was supposed to be just a performance of a song for the show... right? Of course he'll be deformed in the show. What does it matter for a press confrence/launch?

I like the song and the Waltz. I find this project a very interesting one.

Oh and didn't ALW say that Toronto would be the third city to stage it? I heard it was to be London, New York, Toronto then Austrailia

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, the website didn't mention Toronto. I shall check again.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:27 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: LOVE NEVER DIES Songs
jcstar wrote:
Damask and Dark wrote:

...Oh and didn't ALW say that Toronto would be the third city to stage it? I heard it was to be London, New York, Toronto then Austrailia

Andy.

Back in April, Broadway.com had an article that quoted the Daily Mail as saying, "...Shortly following the London premiere, productions of Love Never Dies will open at Toronto’s Royal Alexandra Theatre and in Shanghai, China. The Broadway production, which was originally announced for the fall of 2009, will then premiere in April 2010, likely featuring the cast from the Toronto production. It is still unclear which productions will feature Boggess and Karimloo. . . ."

http://www.broadway.com/Phantom-Sequel- ... ws/5024052

There were other similar articles, but as work on the sequel went on, plans changed.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"Andrew Lloyd Webber’s long awaited new show will have its World Premiere in London at the Adelphi Theatre on Tuesday 9 March 2010 followed by New York on Thursday 11 November and in Australia in 2011."

That's the message now.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:24 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I'm surprised they didn't keep TO...it would have been great to send Karimloo back home to us! XD

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I must admit, I was incredibly skeptical when I first heard about this show. One must admit, before a lot was let known about it, the plot did sound awful. But now that I know more, this show sounds like it will be truly special. Thanks for posting the links to the songs on youtube, I can't stop listening to "'Till I Hear You Sing."

I find it amazing that there are people who find "Music of the Night" boring. Out of all the songs in Phantom, while it isn't my favorite, I find it to be one of the least boring! Maybe its just the vocalist in me, but everytime I listen to it I listen for something different; breath support, pitch (as most usually do :wink: ), and I love actually listening for the acting. Besides its length, which I do understand is a little long, what makes it boring to everyone else?

if only because dust is what we come to...

Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:22 am

"Till I Hear You Sing" sounds like Andrew Lloyd Webber was commissioned to write the music to an extra song for Maury Yeston's "Phantom."

Insipid verging on frightful lyrics, check. Defanged, mopey, prickly on the outside gooey on the inside Phantom, check. Songs that don't have a whole lot to say but repeat themselves just 'cause it's pretty, check. And instead of Yeston's music, which was pretty much the big redeeming feature of that version of Phantom, we get three and a half minutes of Andrew Lloyd Webber--who was apparently triple-doggy-dared to write a pop ballad without the use of a single melodic hook.

Seriously, I was at least expecting a trainwreck with pretty music for the Phantom sequel. I wasn't expecting something so forgettable that, in the middle of writing this post, I forgot how it went, searched for "Till I Hear Your Voice" on YouTube, then realized the error was because every time I try to remember this stupid song, I get that "I will hear your voice / and I'll see your brow" line from Yeston stuck in my head.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:42 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Besides its length, which I do understand is a little long, what makes it boring to everyone else?

Its lyrics are generic and boring, and it doesn't achieve anything dramaturgically or characterwise.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:43 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Its lyrics are generic and boring, and it doesn't achieve anything dramaturgically or characterwise.

I've never found the lyrics to be so boring, but you are correct in them being generic. But what then is an example of lyrics to you that are not generic or boring? I'm always curious to see how my tastes differ from other musical lovers! And while it may not achieve anything characterwise, it does usually flaunt the fact that the Phantom is a damned good vocalist. :wink:

if only because dust is what we come to...

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next