The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Love Never Dies music and plot 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
I was wathcing the latest episode of The Phantom Reviewer, and one of the comments brought up I question I've had for a while but have forgotten to bring up. Basically the person was complaining about how almost every POTO spinoff, literary or otherwise (i.e. Kay, Forsythe (sp?)) seem to insist on giving Chrisitine and the Phantom a love-child. I must agree that it seems unnecessary but also, spefically with Forsythe, improbable. Forsythe's book is a sequel to Webber's show and uses those events as opposed to Leroux's. Nwo, my issiue is, where on earth do Chrisitne and the Phantom have the time to get it on. Now, I've always assumed that the Final Lair sequence follows directly after Down Once More. They get off the boat, and he drangs her into the lair. If that's the case, then there is absolutely no time for off-stage sex in the show. The onyl way for it to work is if it happened in between DOM and Final Lair. Another thing-was it pity sex or rape? there was no way it was completely consentual unless it was pity sex on Chrisitne's part, and rape seems rather unlikley in the situation, although it would make things very interesting.

One last question. If Webber is keeping the sex doll bit, and Forsythe's Coney Island setting, do you think he'll also keep the bit about Raoul getting his testicles shot off? It's just as ridiculous as the rest of it...

Wait Raoul's testicles are shot off???? Dude that's WAY too awesome! By the way the guy that played Forsythe in the PhantomReviewer is amazing!

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:10 pm
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto

And yeah, Forsythe assumed that his audience would be incredibly slow, so he had Raoul get his testicles shot off while sacing Madame Giry form an attempted robbery several years before POTO takes place (Giry talks about it in the letter she writes to the Phantom in POM) to make sure that we understood that Pierre was not and could not be his son.

It's quite amusing, but I feel really bad for Raoul. He went from a heroic character to a fop, to the butt of every POTO joke...:(

Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:00 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Plot- Sorry, I don't know much about it. All I know is it takes place in Coney Island like 15 or so years after the Original, Erik (now "Mister Y" a pun on "mystery") is rich, and Christine is invited to sing at his theatre. She brings her son who turns out to be the phantom's (I didn't think they ever slept together...) And its rumored Mme Giry's gone evil. (MWAHAHAHA!)

Music- "Till I Hear You Sing" Its one of the phantom's songs. He's singing to the creepy manniquen doll thing. Its actually a really cool song. Sung by Ramin Karimaloo as The Phantom (*sigh*)
"Love Never Dies" One of Christine's arias. Sierra Boggess said its very pretty, but thats really all thats known about it.

go to http://www.broadway.com/shows/the-phantom-of-the-opera/ for interviews with ALW, the cast, and the video of "Till I Hear You Sing"

Personally, I think sequels to musicals are horrible (prequels are fine though!) and This one sounds just plain weird...The only cool parts are the attractive Ramin Karimloo and the fantastic Sierra Boggess.
"I can picture the Phantom eating a hot dog."-one of my brothers when i told them that LND is to be set at Coney Island. That setting is just an Epic fail on ALWs part (I hope he does get better though!)

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:48 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
I cant say I am not much off a POTO (did I got it right this time?) fan (not to the heights off my Cats fanship anyway...) but "till I hear you sing" did turn on my musical juices quite a bit... But I dont know if its ALWs wounderfull music that make that happend...

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:13 am

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/RI ... d_20090320

..............No comment............................ :evil:

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde
Main Role: Performer
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/RIALTO_CHATTER_LOVE_NEVER_DIES_Casting_Breakdown_Revealed_20090320

..............No comment............................ :evil:

*cries* They've ruined our beloved characters...

Previous Role(s): Huckster *Halloween Tour*
Upcoming Role(s): Unknown

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:18 pm
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Meh...if they have good actors then there's potential for the charcaters to turn out well, i.e. Raoul's rather stupid drunk thing being used to flesh out his charcter rather than just as comic relief or whatever...

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:19 pm

Main Role: Other...
Oh, ALW, *major dislike button shoved in his face*

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Its as usual... The real fans dont like chances... (had the same debate over the Star Trek movie!) Why dont you at least give it a chance before you judge? Ill mean its ALW were talking about here. :wink:

Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:12 am

Its as usual... The real fans dont like chances... (had the same debate over the Star Trek movie!) Why dont you at least give it a chance before you judge? Ill mean its ALW were talking about here. :wink:

Well with the info we've been hearing about....Erik having sex with a robo Christine, Raoul being a drunk, and having a son who is a young Tim Burton.......Along with the music sounding like it was composed like Alan Menkin..........There's no chance it will be good.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde
Main Role: Performer
Meh...if they have good actors then there's potential for the charcaters to turn out well, i.e. Raoul's rather stupid drunk thing being used to flesh out his charcter rather than just as comic relief or whatever...

I'm not sure if even good actors could save these characters...and Raoul gets enough bashing already just cause he got Christine at the end of the first one, can you imagine how much the bashing could esculate after Love Never Dies is released? *shudders at the thought* Even if one isn't a Raoul fan, they'd have to admit it'd be harsh.

Yakko wrote:
Heavylove wrote:

Well with the info we've been hearing about....Erik having sex with a robo Christine, Raoul being a drunk, and having a son who is a young Tim Burton.......Along with the music sounding like it was composed like Alan Menkin..........There's no chance it will be good.

I totally agree with you, Yakko...and I like Alan Menken... but I see what you mean, that type of music just isn't suited for Phantom. I mean, I like that song "Till I Hear You Sing" by itself, but the more I listen to it, knowing it's for Love Never Dies, the more I think that the Phantom's turned into in emo sap who can't move on.

Previous Role(s): Huckster *Halloween Tour*
Upcoming Role(s): Unknown

Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:48 pm
Profile WWW

Meh, it doesn't bother me so much, because I can go to other places for untainted, unruined shows about tragic, erotic, forbidden love *shameless plug for Elisabeth-but you already knew that EB :wink:* So I'm still kinda hopeful, and even if it doesn't work out, I won't be at a loss...

BTW I don't know if you got it the first time in the Les Mis thread, but I love the Olegg banner and the Robert Preston-Shady Dame of Seville avatar (easily the funniest scene in the entire movie :lol:)

Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next