The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Love Never Dies music and plot 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
Yakko wrote:
I don't know......This is already making me lose faith in musical theater.......But I personally rather see Erik die if he does "do it" with the Robo Christine! :evil:

Why do you have an irrational fear of plot and character development in Phantom?

Because we don't need a squeal to Phantom.....Why would Erik still want to stalk Christine when he ALLOWED her to go with Raoul knowing he would never see her again??? Also why should also know where Erik went into hiding after he dissapered from the lair? It's all pointless stuff that ALW is creating for money he may never see with the show failing!

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 pm
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
There's no point in complaining about it. It's happenning, so live with it and hope it's at least half-way decent (that single they just realease isn't too bad so there is some home that it will at least be barable)

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:06 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
Yakko wrote:
I don't know......This is already making me lose faith in musical theater.......But I personally rather see Erik die if he does "do it" with the Robo Christine! :evil:

Why do you have an irrational fear of plot and character development in Phantom?

Because we don't need a squeal to Phantom.....Why would Erik still want to stalk Christine when he ALLOWED her to go with Raoul knowing he would never see her again??? Also why should also know where Erik went into hiding after he dissapered from the lair? It's all pointless stuff that ALW is creating for money he may never see with the show failing!

Because the phantom is insane. His actions don't need to be rational.

I think ALW is more driven by the desire to be doing something than money.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Yakko wrote:
Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
Yakko wrote:

Because the phantom is insane. His actions don't need to be rational.

I think ALW is more driven by the desire to be doing something than money.

Well, that doesn't explain it at all, unless we know which diagnoses he has. The argument that someone is "insane" is never a good enough explanations for the actions. Perhaps if he you can give examples that support him having something like OCD, or Schizophrenia, but just insane? That's not an explanation.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:58 am

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
:roll: How about the fact that he was emotionally traumatized for his whole life. That's probably enough to drive him out of his mind. Do we really need a shrink in here telling us EXACTLY what disorder he may or may not have?

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:38 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

There's no point in complaining about it. It's happenning, so live with it and hope it's at least half-way decent (that single they just realease isn't too bad so there is some home that it will at least be barable)

Thanks for the advice, but a lot of things are happening that I don't like, and I'm disinclined to just live with all of them. Do you really think no one should complain about anything that's happening? The fact that we can't personally change some unpleasant facts means that we just philosophically accept them and hope for the best? Well, that is one way of living. I like expressing myself about things I like and dislike, not just things I like or approve of.

Mistress wrote:
How about the fact that he was emotionally traumatized for his whole life. That's probably enough to drive him out of his mind.

I believe we had that story in a show called The Phantom of the Opera.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
:roll: How about the fact that he was emotionally traumatized for his whole life. That's probably enough to drive him out of his mind. Do we really need a shrink in here telling us EXACTLY what disorder he may or may not have?

No, but insane is such a loose term, so it doesn't really explain his behavior. Also, Madame Giry seems to be a kind hearted person, and she was his only social connection, then why would he end up killing people?

Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:43 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There's no point in complaining about it. It's happenning, so live with it [...]

Duh. Half of the fun of musical theatre is critizising it.

High-baritonne wrote:
The argument that someone is "insane" is never a good enough explanations for the actions.

True.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Mistress wrote:
There's no point in complaining about it. It's happenning, so live with it [...]

High-baritonne wrote:

I hope you still apropiate what it takes to write a musical then.

Like a good workable story that havent been done to many times before, or at least feel fresh and 20 to 30 unique feeling songs that havent been done before (If youre not doing a story based on old songs, like Mamma Mia ofc).

And when you think you have something that works you still have to make others think its as good as you think it is if you ever want it to be played... But I guess if youre ALW its easy to do that...

Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dvarg wrote:
Mistress wrote:

I hope you still apropiate what it takes to write a musical then.

You mean "appreciate"?

Well, critizising musical theatre is appreciating it, meaning you take the genre seriously. And criticism doesn't mean pointing out only the negative things.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:21 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Thats the kind of critism every writer appreciate... (and no, english is not my mother language) :wink:

Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:10 am

I was wathcing the latest episode of The Phantom Reviewer, and one of the comments brought up I question I've had for a while but have forgotten to bring up. Basically the person was complaining about how almost every POTO spinoff, literary or otherwise (i.e. Kay, Forsythe (sp?)) seem to insist on giving Chrisitine and the Phantom a love-child. I must agree that it seems unnecessary but also, spefically with Forsythe, improbable. Forsythe's book is a sequel to Webber's show and uses those events as opposed to Leroux's. Nwo, my issiue is, where on earth do Chrisitne and the Phantom have the time to get it on. Now, I've always assumed that the Final Lair sequence follows directly after Down Once More. They get off the boat, and he drangs her into the lair. If that's the case, then there is absolutely no time for off-stage sex in the show. The onyl way for it to work is if it happened in between DOM and Final Lair. Another thing-was it pity sex or rape? there was no way it was completely consentual unless it was pity sex on Chrisitne's part, and rape seems rather unlikley in the situation, although it would make things very interesting.

One last question. If Webber is keeping the sex doll bit, and Forsythe's Coney Island setting, do you think he'll also keep the bit about Raoul getting his testicles shot off? It's just as ridiculous as the rest of it...

Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next