The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Love Never Dies music and plot 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Love Never Dies music and plot
Now that ALW is going to announce Love Never Dies today, I would like to ask some things about this upcoming musical. I know it's early as only ALW hsa the music, but maybe you could hazard some guesses before you see the show.
Do you think the new show might make some use of the music from the original Phantom? I sense that ALW will release the concept album to the shops later this year but do you sense that he'd continue his original score by including the original Phantom theme, as well as reprises of Music of the Night and All I Ask of You?
Also, I'd hate to say this but I wouldn't like it if the show ended in Phantom killing Christine and Raoul. I understand that the Forsyth book Phantom of Manhattan ends the story in this way, but I'd just be a little frightened if this tragedy found its way into the Lloyd-Webber show.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:49 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
I just wish he wouldn't do this! :cry: :cry: :cry:

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
I believe the killing was accidental but it's been a while since I've read this. I've just listened to the samples and he seems to have just written in a similar style. I didn't hear anything from the original. :)

Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Love Never Dies music and plot
Yip1982 wrote:
Also, I'd hate to say this but I wouldn't like it if the show ended in Phantom killing Christine and Raoul. I understand that the Forsyth book Phantom of Manhattan ends the story in this way.

All copies of that absurd book should be burned. Or at least fed to Otto the cat.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:11 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ALW says he hated the book and that's why he abandoned the project.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:37 am
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Yip1982 wrote:
Also, I'd hate to say this but I wouldn't like it if the show ended in Phantom killing Christine and Raoul. I understand that the Forsyth book Phantom of Manhattan ends the story in this way, but I'd just be a little frightened if this tragedy found its way into the Lloyd-Webber show.

Only Christine died in Forsythe's book. Her son followed her to her meeting with the Phantom-the babydaddy. Little did either of them know, but the Phantom's evil psycho henchman was hiding in the bushes waiting to shoot the boy, who, as the biological heir to Erik's fortune, has first dibs on the moolah. Henchman doesn't like this because he wants the fortune. Anyway, at some point, the boy runs to his mother and she picks him and spins around. Henchman shoots too late and hits Chrisitine instead of the boy. She tells him that Erik is his father and the boy opts to go with him instead of back with Raoul. Henchman appears to not be in Webbers script, so I doubt that the Death scene will occur, at least in the original manner.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:42 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

ALW never said he hated the book. He said he tried twice but couldn't find a way to make the story into a musical. Then Ben Elton looked it over, wrote a four page synopsis in which he eliminated all of Forsyth's original characters and kept the POTO characters, Christine, Raoul, the Phantom, etc. This is the story used for the sequel. ALW clearly has kept some of Forsyth's book and changed some things.

The fact that the Forsyth character who accidentally shot Christine isn't in the sequel doesn't mean that nobody shoots Christine (and maybe someone else too?). They can assign that job to another character.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:24 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

SomeoneLikeYou wrote:
All copies of that absurd book should be burned. Or at least fed to Otto the cat.

Too bad poor Otto died in an "accident". May he rest in peace in the Heaviside Layer.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
ALW says he hated the book and that's why he abandoned the project.

Did he? I didn't think he did. (Unless I've misread are you referring to Coney island one?) I mean ALW praised the Phantom of Manhattan, apparently he has a quote in the actual book (well the 'liner notes' for lack of a better term or something, I don't read much).

ANd the book was specifically written for the project, but it didn't eventuate so it went out in a novel, according to ALWs statement at the press release [if I remember correctly].

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:34 am

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Dvarg wrote:
SomeoneLikeYou wrote:

Too bad poor Otto died in an "accident". May he rest in peace in the Heaviside Layer.

I know Otto was my hero! :mrgreen: WE NEED HIM AGAIN!

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Well I am not going to jump on the anti LND bandwagon just yet. I definitely will if ALW has Christine killed. And I will be really pissed if, from what the show poster shows (a female mask) eludes to Christine's face being disfigured. Then I will most definitely join the ranks of the LND haters.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next