The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
A few questions, ideas, etc. 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post A few questions, ideas, etc.
Dear "TPoTO" Fans,

*SPOILER ALERT*

I re-watched the movie version of "Phantom" yesterday, and a few questions, ideas, etc., came to mind:

* Erik attracted to...money?: I know that most people would say that Erik (The Opera Ghost) was attracted to Christine because of her beautiful voice, but does anybody else wonder if he was more attracted to the idea that she was an orphan who's father left her tons of money? If she had fallen in love with Erik, she might have payed him, with her father's money, for the lessons...

* Obtaining roses...and Madam Giry's involvement..., etc. : We all know that the Opera Ghost was always giving Christine roses, and we all know that he was able to get into Christine's bedroom via the rotating door...but how the heck did he obtain a constant supply of roses, if he never, ever really left the lair...or the loft of the theatre? Did Madame Giry obtain the roses FOR him?

Every time that I watch that movie, I begin to realize how terrible Madame Giry is; she really knew Erik well, and yet, she did nothing to protect Christine from him...

* Shallow Christine, and time-wasting Phantom: I still think that Christine was too shallow a person to appreciate the Phantom. I believe that even if he hadn't scared her, etc., she STILL would have left him, without even getting to know him as a friend. I think that he wasted his time on someone who had a stereotypically "Damsel in Distress" reaction to all that was "different". I felt very sorry for Erik when Christine returned the ring, wearing a pathetically patronizing, "I'm sorry, but I showed you pity, so now, I'm going to break your heart...again...and leave to live Happily Ever After."

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:?: :idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:11 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I think it's foolish to say the Phantom was attracted to the money that Christine's father would've left her. Then it misses the whole point of the tragic lovestory aspect.

And Christine, at least in the musical, is super shallow. The Phantom's too good for her. Using that idea, I can't see how "Love Never Dies" is going to work.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

The Phantom does seem to have acquired a taste for the good life. He is, however, doing nicely for himself: he's been blackmailing the Opera manager for years. With this money, he most likely has plenty of people that he can pay to procure roses (as well as all the comforts of home, food, drippy candles etc) I'm picturing his little notes, wax skull seal and all, 'please pick up my dry-cleaning at Henri's to-day, find 3 francs enclosed. Your obedient servant, O.G'.

Christine's dad didn't leave her much (or any) money. She's a chorus rat in one of the lowest professions in Paris. If she were loaded, she'd not be caught dead performing on stage. How gauche.

Christine is a very shallow person. Love is insanely blind, and our man just couldn't help himself.

-Cameron Mackintosh

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:02 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Using that idea, I can't see how "Love Never Dies" is going to work.

Using ANY idea, I can't see how LND is going to work. :roll:

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:50 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:29 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
I do agree that Christine comes off quite shallow. But this is an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical we're talking about, yes?

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:58 pm
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
And Christine, at least in the musical, is super shallow. The Phantom's too good for her. Using that idea, I can't see how "Love Never Dies" is going to work.

*cough* Really?! I though it was because she was scared to death of him and HE was stalking HER (although I do admit that Christine is a bit shallow as a character, but hey, she's an ingenue). I dunno about you, but I would definitely be terrified of a deformed guy who stalked me, left me roses in locked changerooms, and threatened to hurt/kill when he caught me with my actual boyfriend.../end rant.

The whole thing about the Forbidden love motif is that it's FORBIDDEN.

*sorry, but I have really string views on the Erik!Phantom fanclub. I apologize if I cam off too nasty*

Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:34 am

Good points, Mistress. But what did Raoul ever do for Christine?

As a sidenote, you ingenue comment made me laugh.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:13 am
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
As her childhood sweetheart, I'm sure there was more to him than the fop we've all generally come to know and loath.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:36 pm

As her childhood sweetheart, I'm sure there was more to him than the fop we've all generally come to know and loath.

It's a shame we're not shown any of Raoul's childhood.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post We seem to forget...
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

We seem to forget that Erik knew Christine ever since she arrived at the opera house, although he only knew her due to the fact that he was spying on her during all of that time...

Raoul may have been a really nice kid way back when, but he's been away from Christine for so many years, while Erik has been spying on her for that same number of years...

I think that Erik knows her better than Raoul knows her...

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:33 am

We don't know that he's been spying on her since childhood. Actually he hasn't. Only the movie had Chrisitine coming to the Opera house as an orphaned child. In the book and in the stage show she comes as an adult after her father dies. So while Raoul only knew her as a child, the Phantom only knew her as an adult. So really, they're tied...

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]