The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
"Think of Me": Awkward, pleasant, seductive, or a 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "Think of Me": Awkward, pleasant, seductive, or a
Dear "TPoTO" Fans,

When Christine sings "Think of Me", should she sound slightly awkward (after all, she isn't necessarily aware that she's THAT good of a singer), simply pleasant, or seductive (as though she's lusting after someone whom she's thinking of, and as though her thoughts just happen to go along with the words of the song that she's singing)? Should the song go from being awkward to pleasant to seductive, or should it be a combination of those three attitudes during the entire time that its being sung?

Of course, seeing as how I like to think of Christine as a self-centered, cruel tease, I'd sing the song as though I were totally lusting after someone...:wink: We all know that "The Phantom of The Opera" is <cough> about sex and eroticism <cough>. That's not to say that it isn't a work of art...

Oh! I have a question about the lyrics from the aforementioned song. Are the lyrics really "the earth recedes, and so do we...", as I think that they are, or have I been totally mishearing the lyrics?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Last edited by The Duchess of Mint on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:08 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Amanda Palmer, Doctor Who, Jane Austen
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: "Think of Me": Awkward, pleasant, seductive, o
The Duchess of Mint wrote:

Oh! I have a question about the lyrics from the aforementioned song. Are the lyrics really "the earth recedes, and so do we...", as I think that they are, or have I been totally mishearing the lyrics?

8)

Do you mean "flowers fade, the fruits of summer fade, they have their seasons, so do we..."?

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:16 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: "Think of Me": Awkward, pleasant, seductive, o
Dear Megziid,

Those were indeed the lyrics which I kept mishearing. :oops:

Then again, I cannot stand musical phrases which continue, while trying to include two complete sentences, so that the listener is completely confused, and/ or weirded out by the weird transition between the two sentences...

You know what I mean?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
:idea:

Megziid wrote:
The Duchess of Mint wrote:

8)

Do you mean "flowers fade, the fruits of summer fade, they have their seasons, so do we..."?

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:35 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
Well the song is in a opera so wouldn't mean nothing? Or am I looking at it the wrong way....

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde
Main Role: Performer
Whenever I heard the song, I always pictured it as an innocent reflection on happier days before two lovers parted. Also, when the song was written it was probably unintended, but I can see a little bit of a Raoul/Christine subtext in terms of their childhood, but in Christine's part it's a lot more subtle then Raoul's part of the song. I'm probably reading too much into it, but I can see Christine reminiscing as she's singing that song.

Previous Role(s): Huckster *Halloween Tour*
Upcoming Role(s): Unknown

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I agree - it's not going too far beyond the material to say that the reason Christine's performance of that song is such a success is that she relates the subject matter to herself and Raoul. Raoul's intervention invites us to make that connection.

In response to Duchess's original question, I'd say "none": the mood is primarily wistful. ALW does "wistful" well (and frequently).

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:18 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I get the sense that this song might have a dual meaning.
I think that Christine might be singing to Raoul as we see him in the box towards the end of the song. It might probably be the first fruit of their romance and blossoming love.
However, I'm sure that it has a purpose to serve the scene as Christine steps in for Carlotta. So it's OK for her to sound nervous and tentative, even halting at times, as she lives in terror of her teacher (i.e. Phantom.)

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]