The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
LOVE NEVER DIES Production Details 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jekkienumber24601 wrote:
Pastiche wrote:
Jekkienumber24601 wrote:
Luckily he sounds better than Josh Groban ;-) He's almost like a Warlow. Especially when you compare how they both sing the title song of the original.

Warlow is a fine actor as well as an excellent singer and a fine actor while he is being an excellent singer. Josh Groban is "popish" regardless of what he is singing, and this Phantom strikes me as a kind of pop idol, romantic hero---not the disturbed, dangerous, and ultimately shattered character he was in the original show.

Oh yeah, I forgot. He probably got some help with anger management during the ten years.

You're judging this by a "music video"...all videos of him in the role in the original and from what I've heard he seems to be a fine actor.

He was a popular actor in POTO, but more than one (I'm thinking at least three or four of the professional reviews) said something about his lacking "stature" (might have meant physical height?) or stage presence. The only one I can find now is what Andrew Billen said in the New Statesman:

"Ramin Karimloo works hard under the mask and toupee, but it is an emasculated part and he has less stage presence even than Joseph Millson as Raoul."

I don't think either Warlow or Crawford were ever described as lacking stage presence when they played the role.

Yeah I read reviews also commenting that he's very thin in stature. Doesn't have a broad shoulder leading man physique like Crawford did when he gained all that weight.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

High-baritonne wrote:
I just saw the show last night, and the actors were amazing, but it is the worst musical I have ever seen! What was up with that 13 minutes love sequence? It could have been cut to a simple 4 minute duet! The book was weak, very weak. The lyrics were mostly horrible, but the music was beautiful and splendid! The orchestrations were, as Webber's usually are, splendid! But, as someone wise who I can't recall said: "Webber is never better than his source material and his co-writers".

Worst musical you have ever seen, and yet the actors were amazing, and the music and orchestrations beautiful and splendid. That's mixed signals if ever I saw some... :lol: He-he. I think I would agree with you, though. The cast is what strikes me as best with the production, and it has a decent amount of nice songs. But lyrics and storyline seems awfully weak and messy, and even the production design seems sub-par.

I understand what he's trying to say. Lestat for instance had a great cast, great voices, good costumes, some pretty sweet tunes, and is still regarded as one of the worst musicals ever.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Pope Josh
Pastiche wrote:
Josh Groban is "popish" regardless of what he is singing...

"Popish", as in "displaying the qualities of a pope"? Do you mean he always sounds like he is saying Mass when he sings? :wink:

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: Pope Josh
RainbowJude wrote:
Pastiche wrote:
Josh Groban is "popish" regardless of what he is singing...

"Popish", as in "displaying the qualities of a pope"? Do you mean he always sounds like he is saying Mass when he sings? :wink:

I hadn't thought of that! He'll have to start riding in a Popemobile between gigs (assuming he has them. I don't keep up with Josh's activities).

Well, that'll teach me to post late at night when my usual "iffy" spelling goes down hill. :?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:35 am

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Pastiche wrote:
Jekkienumber24601 wrote:
Pastiche wrote:
Jekkienumber24601 wrote:
Luckily he sounds better than Josh Groban ;-) He's almost like a Warlow. Especially when you compare how they both sing the title song of the original.

Warlow is a fine actor as well as an excellent singer and a fine actor while he is being an excellent singer. Josh Groban is "popish" regardless of what he is singing, and this Phantom strikes me as a kind of pop idol, romantic hero---not the disturbed, dangerous, and ultimately shattered character he was in the original show.

Oh yeah, I forgot. He probably got some help with anger management during the ten years.

You're judging this by a "music video"...all videos of him in the role in the original and from what I've heard he seems to be a fine actor.

He was a popular actor in POTO, but more than one (I'm thinking at least three or four of the professional reviews) said something about his lacking "stature" (might have meant physical height?) or stage presence. The only one I can find now is what Andrew Billen said in the New Statesman:

"Ramin Karimloo works hard under the mask and toupee, but it is an emasculated part and he has less stage presence even than Joseph Millson as Raoul."

I don't think either Warlow or Crawford were ever described as lacking stage presence when they played the role.

Yeah I read reviews also commenting that he's very thin in stature. Doesn't have a broad shoulder leading man physique like Crawford did when he gained all that weight.

Thin? Have you seen the man's shirtless picture?

Granted, he's not "big" like Crawford or other older men who've played the Phantom (and I don't think it's so much about height - both Crawford and Colm Wilkinson are rather short in stature...for men at least) but that maybe because he's so young still, but you can't deny that he has a "physique" and is quite "broad"...

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:11 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Whatever the case might be with Karimloo.... He's out sick.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/LA ... l_20100405

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Fan
Looks like LND isn't coming to NYC soon. ALW has issues:

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/theater/07arts-BROADWAYOPEN_BRF.html

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
Well at least we don't need to see the robo Christine in NYC.........for now...........

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post LOVE NEVER DIES Production Details

There were rumours about this in Michael Riedel's column in the New York Post a couple of days ago. Without wishing any discomfort on Andrew Lloyd Webber, the statement does sound a little bit like a cover up to me. I really think the show needs a considerable amount of time to work out its problems, which I've mused about on my blog in detail, and I think that everyone with stakes in the production knows that.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well at least we don't need to see the robo Christine in NYC.........for now...........

I have no problem with a robo christine....seriously it seems like his next logical step from his mannequin christine. Just like Beauty Underneath is just as clashy with the score as Phantom of the Opera. Does anyone else see that people are complaining about things the original did just as badly?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Yakko wrote:

I have no problem with a robo christine....seriously it seems like his next logical step from his mannequin christine. Just like Beauty Underneath is just as clashy with the score as Phantom of the Opera. Does anyone else see that people are complaining about things the original did just as badly?

Yeah, the thing is, a lot of people think that they didn't work that well in the original either - and that these things that didn't work in the original just don't get any better through pointless repetition. If anything the regurgitation of such tired concepts serves to highlight how "Love Never Dies" is sorely lacking in fresh ideas. Or good fresh ideas, anyway...

This is my view of the matter.

Much as I like "Phantom", I realise that is far from a perfect show and just because something was in the original, doesn't neccessarily make it good... and even if it was good, that doesn't neccessarily mean it needs to be repeated in the sequel.

My main beef with robo-Christine is it's tokenism, it's there just to be an allusion to the original, rather than because it's absolutely neccessary to the story.... "The Beauty Underneath" also has a tokenistic feel to it:
"Hey! There was a dumb rock song in the original so we must have a dumb rock song in this too!"
Also, it seems to be trying to emulate Nightwish's cover of "Phantom Of The Opera".

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

As songs I love both Phantom and Beauty Underneath. I wish the rest of both scores had some more Rock Opera moments. I think JC Superstar is still one of his best....followed by Sunset Boulevard.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next