The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
LOVE NEVER DIES Production Details 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It is the most dreadful scenography attempt ever, and the creator could not have been well-educated. Even I, a 1. year drama student have learned that there is a huge difference between movie scenography and a stage scenography.

For whatever it's worth, I think the set designer Bob Crowley is very talented. He did a similar forced perspective in "Mary Poppins", where it (in my opinion) worked well. You can see some of it in the ofiicial "Step in time" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNGIQ51aiw

Judging from pictures and videos I do, however, agree that the sets in LND is very sparse at places, especially towards the end. Set against the opulent "Aerie" and hotel sets, I don't quite see what the designer was up to. I miss some coherence. Instead it looks like they ran out of money in the second act...

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mon May 31, 2010 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Well, it does work in Mary Poppins because the depth is not exaggerated, and the stage (at least when filmed from this point of view) is deep enough so that the people who are supposed to be "further back" actually are further back. The problem with the set design for Love Never Dies is that the perspective design begin at the far left in the front of the stage, thus not only cutting the stage in half, but also making the in-depth perspective impossible to use because once a person is one step behind another the scenery shrink with for example 5 cm while the person only shrinks with a couple of mm.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:22 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I will say that yes, there were some issues with the perspective and vanishing points. However, the use of projection at the beginning of the show I thought was absolutely inspired - I've seen some great video work and this was right up there with the best. I also loved the hotel room set - brilliant use of the revolve and as I said in my last post, I thought the simplicity of a lot of the sets worked extremely well. It was also beautifully lit (and I'm extremely critical of lighting designs!).

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Could the simplicity of the sets be not entirely an artistic choice but part of the planning to tour the show? (If it survives NYC)

The original show has been notoriously difficult and expensive to tour. The last tour is closing in November. I would be surprised if ALW doesn't have plans to show off his new baby in a city near you. I have no idea, however, if the projection equipment is easy or hard to pack up and move.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:12 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
Post Re: LOVE NEVER DIES Production Details
Now that I have the time to see a show, I just took a look at the ticket details for LND in London. They're charging £67.50 for a single seat. :shock: Is this normal? I haven't been to see a show in London for a while but it seems to have leaped up an awful lot. It can only have been a year or so since I last went. I know those are the best seats but still... with the economy the way it is at the moment and so many people out of work it seems silly to charge so much for them. Surely they'd make more overall if they charged less for tickets so that more people bought them. I love the soundtrack and the clips I've seen look great. But I'm really wondering if it's worth paying that much (especially since I'd have to get four seats for the same performance). :(

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Peritombry wrote:
Now that I have the time to see a show, I just took a look at the ticket details for LND in London. They're charging £67.50 for a single seat. :shock: Is this normal? I haven't been to see a show in London for a while but it seems to have leaped up an awful lot. It can only have been a year or so since I last went. I know those are the best seats but still... with the economy the way it is at the moment and so many people out of work it seems silly to charge so much for them. Surely they'd make more overall if they charged less for tickets so that more people bought them. I love the soundtrack and the clips I've seen look great. But I'm really wondering if it's worth paying that much (especially since I'd have to get four seats for the same performance). :(

No, they charge around 10 pounds more than most West End shows. If I got the numbers right, most expensive ticket for Phantom is 59 pounds. For We Will Rock You you'll have to pay £60, ditto for Billy Elliot and Chicago. Only ones close to that LND sum is Pricilla with £65.75 and Legally Blonde at £65. But £55-60 seems to be the general price for top-price tickets in West End.

LND also charged full price for the previews, which is a bit unusual. I think they have huge costs to cover, which is why they charge more than other shows. But you know that discount tickets for LND is everywhere, right? At TKTS in Leicester Square the top price tickets goes for £48, and they seem to be listed every day. ETA: check their website: http://www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
The critical response for the revisions is in. The biggest news seems to be that the opening has been done away with. Now it starts with ''Til I Hear You Sing'. Apart from this improvement, critics seem unmoved.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I wouldn't take any notice of whats hapening in the London show. My eyes will soully be on the Australian Production (then again I live here :P) because thats where the real revisions will take place. New designs for everything, and one of the best stage directors Simon Phillips. I think Australia can make this show really work!!!

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I don't think even a very good director will be allowed to write a new, completely different story. No matter what cosmetic changes are made, the story is still a jumped up fan fiction.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:54 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Pastiche wrote:
I don't think even a very good director will be allowed to write a new, completely different story. No matter what cosmetic changes are made, the story is still a jumped up fan fiction.

I second that; the musical's main issue s the libretto (storyline/lyrics). All the changes so far has not fixed that; it has barely touched it. It has dealt with the supporting characters, but to me the issues are with the lead roles. A solid "kill your darlings" would be in order, but I don't think ALW is up for it. And as long as he is not up for it, no other will be allowed to make drastic changes, not even the best director Australia can offer.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:27 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
I don't know about you guys but this is becoming pathitic.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11