The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
If You Could Change *One* Thing About the Movie... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde
Main Role: Performer
the director! he made phantom, christine and raoul into such foolish characters! no anger, pain or fear. Just pure hollywood! And it doesn't fit phantom very well.. And he also killed christines character in the finale scene.. just standing there.. not like in the stage version where she is really fighting for her man!

Also I would totally get rid of Gerard Butler.. he's a nice actor, but 1: honestly he can't sing ! 2: his phantom is too young, sweet and handsome.
he is not dangerouse at all! it ends up being the phantom as the hero and raoul as the "bad guy", who is stealing christine from phantom! That doesn't make sence..

You don't know how much I'm liking you right now, dude. Those are some very good points! :D

Although I heard recently that ALW picked Joel S. 2 decades ago to direct the film after he had done the Lost Boys, which I hear had a gothic touch to it. So I guess it made sense then, but now, I so would've picked someone else. (Preferribly someone who has had experience with directing musicals.)

Christine just standing there in the final confrontation scene always bothered me too, as well as the "making the Phantom look like the hero and Raoul look like the bad guy" thing. I never hear the end of it from the movie!fangirls. #-o

Previous Role(s): Huckster *Halloween Tour*
Upcoming Role(s): Unknown

Wed May 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Although I heard recently that ALW picked Joel S. 2 decades ago to direct the film after he had done the Lost Boys, which I hear had a gothic touch to it. So I guess it made sense then, but now, I so would've picked someone else. (Preferribly someone who has had experience with directing musicals.)

Or someone who didn't have a hang-up on halfnaked men in wet/open white shirts...

Yes, if I got to change one thing and one thing only, it would definitely be the director. It's amazing he managed to make a musical as POTO into such a bland and dull movie. :?

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thu May 07, 2009 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

EponineBarker wrote:

I remember hearing Lloyd Webber say he'd been impressed by Joel's use of music in ""The Lost Boys." That was something that had stood out for me in "The Lost Boys," too...so I was optimistic, despite what Joel did with Batman.

Quote:
Yes, if I got to change one thing and one thing only, it would definitely be the director. It's amazing he managed to make a musical as POTO into such a bland and dull movie. :?

Everything I dislike about the movie goes right back to Joel. So the director is the one thing I'd change, too.

Thu May 07, 2009 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I would have cast Paul Stanley as The Phantom, since ALW wanted a rock star in the role.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Wed May 13, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
I would have cast Paul Stanley as The Phantom, since ALW wanted a rock star in the role.

Andy.

But Paul sucked as the Phantom...

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Wed May 13, 2009 8:32 pm
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
On-stage....he might'nt be so bad in a movie...I mean he can sing better than Butler...

Thu May 14, 2009 12:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I actually wrote Mr. Stanley a letter near the end of his run. A few weeks later, I got an autographed 8x10 of him as The Phantom and letter from his publicist.

I had asked him to consider doing the role on film, cause I thought he'd be amazing.

The letter said that Paul read and enjoyed my letter and wanted to thank me for my "very kind words."

I still have the pic and the letter. I treasure both.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Thu May 14, 2009 2:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I know people will hate me fore this but I love the movie. It was actually my introduction to Phantom. The instant after the movie ended I found tickets online to see it on stage. So I'm kind of connected to it. This being said if I did have to change one thing I would maybe have someone else sing the part of the phantom. I <3 Gerard Butler and he acted the part amazingly but I'm not sure he had the voice for the part. That's it. ^_^

Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:13 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I kind of like the movie, but I do know it has its flaws. Gerard Butler seems like a random choice for the Phantom... you'd think they'd get someone with singing experience. Emmy Rossum made me hate Christine. Her voice kind of sounds whiny. And Raoul... I don't know why they would have him look like he did! He just kind of looked way too feminine. If you've got a bunch of girls that would choose the Phantom because he's better looking than Raoul, you have a problem.

Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 am

Get Piangi out of the Il Mutto scene and put the bass back in that part.

Wed May 19, 2010 10:17 am

Current Obsession: Too many to list.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Wed May 19, 2010 12:58 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Writing
So I'm going out on a limb here that it's definately too late to mention that this so happens to be the version I watched yesterday. :oops:

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next