The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
A very twisted Christine! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post A very twisted Christine!
Deaer "TPOTO" Fans,

I know that I'm sort of fanatical about wanting for Christine to be portrayed as being a major tease, but, at the same time, what if Christine's psychological state actually justified her role as a tease?

I mean to say that Christine might acutally be a very twisted young woman. After all, her parents are both dead, and she's grown up with girls who have parents, secure futures, etc.

What if, as her father was dying, she WASN'T very comforted by his promise that an Angel of Music would look after her? What if she was angry? What if she thought "Yeah, right? You're dying, and I'll NEVER be looked after again...not really!"?

What if she never truly believed that the Phantom was her Angel of Music? What if she was being purely pragmatic, with regards to the fact that she was willing to TAKE financial and educational assistance when it was being offered to her? What if she thought "That guy's a lulu, but if he can get me a good education, and if I can sing more gracefully, I'll always have a job here, and I'll be financially secure, which is more than I could have hoped for without parents."?

What if she was using Roul, too, because she figured that she should take advantage of his protection, and of his money, since fortune bothered to spit him out onto the local scene?

What if she wasn't even certain about what she believed, because it was all about her, and about her own survival?

Have you ever seen a twisted Christine onstage, and do you think that that portrayal could work within the storyline of "TPOTO"?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Last edited by The Duchess of Mint on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:19 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Well Sarah Shiteman played her pretty twisted. She looked like she was possessed and was going to kill the audience.

But I think you're looking a bit too deeply into a very simple and badly written role. If all that were the case at least it would give Christine a bit of depth.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Christine SHOULD be a more complex character!
Dear actor,

I don't know if she should look possessed, but I certainly think that she should be a more complex character, because I don't like the idea that she is such a shallow character.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8)

actor wrote:
Well Sarah Shiteman played her pretty twisted. She looked like she was possessed and was going to kill the audience.

But I think you're looking a bit too deeply into a very simple and badly written role. If all that were the case at least it would give Christine a bit of depth.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:04 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

That's actually an interesting look at Christine's potential thought processes. But it's my opinion that if she was thinking that sensibly about the situation, she would also recognize the inherent danger that the Phantom poses, not just the educational and financial benefits.

I've never seen Christine played in such a fashion, and I doubt we ever will. The role is certainly not the deepest in musical theatre from a characterization point of view, but I think Christine's journey from a naive young ingenue to a much more mature woman is vital to the final scene and to the entire story. Playing Christine "twisted" would hurt the show, in my opinion.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post I understand, but...
Dear PoaB,

I understand what you're saying, and yet, I think that the fact that Christine is so suddenly upset that the Phantom lied to her, when she was so clueless for so long, really kills the potency of the story.

It's almost as though Christine is so repulsed by the Phantom that she won't go away with him, but that she must appear to be the bigger human being, so that she invents another ingenious reason (the Phantom's lie) to placate the Phantom.

8)

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:34 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I like what Hal Prince once said about the role of Christine:

She is a young woman manipulated by three men: The Phantom, Raoul, AND her late father.

The musical is about her tearing loose from all of them, to find her own voice (pun not intended!) and way in life. Which for the most comes true in the "Final Lair" scene, where HER decisions is essential and sets everyone free (both physically and psycically).

I've never seen the role of Christine as a tease. She is being stalked. As much as I adore the role of the Phantom and secretly wish for one in my life, I would be terrified if it actually happened. He is a stalking killer. I don't think Christine is to blame for that.

I don't see the role as underwritten either, but it is a great showcase role for sopranos who really cannot act... There's been a few of those. But I've also seen excellent actresses with beautiful voices interpret the role, and it's given me a new understanding of what Christine can and should be.

I don't think I've ever seen a twisted Christine, but I remember I was upset after seeing Katie Knight-Adams in summer 2006. I had seen her two times previously, and although I thought she was all wrong for the role (especially voice-wise, where she struggled a LOT), I always fancied her acting.

Well, I definitely didn't fancy it in July 2006. She did a cold and manipulative Christine, pulling an "I'm trying to look sexy" part in MOTN, acting hysterical in PONR and being a bitch in "Final Lair". But I'd rather call it bad acting than a twisted interpretation.

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
And Duchess, do you have a strong dislike for Christine? Becuase it seems you kinda do...

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post My thoughts about Christine...
Dear sopranodespair,

I have actually always sort of envied Christine. I mean, she is already pittied, as an orphan, and then, she gets to be seduced by an Opera Ghost, romanced by Raoul, faithfully befriended by Meg, pseudo-protected by Madam Griry, etc. She also gets to be off in her own little, private, erotic world with The Phantom, so her dark, hidden, dirty secrets are well protected.

Which girl wouldn't want to be admired enough to be stalked? Which girl wouldn't want to be seduced by her professor? Which girl wouldn't want to have another guy on the side? Which girl wouldn't want a faithful best friend, fame, and a mother figure who didn't know about her dark, seductive, erotic life?

THAT would be MY perfect, ideal dream life!

Envy is also the reason why I HATED Fanny Price when I had to read "Mansfield Park". That stinkin' pity kitty got EVERYTHING, AND the guy, AND a marriage, AND sex, to boot, just for being a stupid, pitiful orphan!

Of course, I was also the girl who said, when my class was discussing Kate's starvation in "The Taming of the Shrew", "Well, I've starved MYSELF for longer than THAT! Why was SHE complaining?".

I sometimes wonder if the best things come to those who live tragically just so that God can punish those of us whose parents are actually alive when we graduate from 8th grade, high school, and/ or college!

8)

sopranodespair wrote:
operafantomet, good interpretation.
And Duchess, do you have a strong dislike for Christine? Becuase it seems you kinda do...

Last edited by The Duchess of Mint on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:43 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: My thoughts about Christine...
The Duchess of Mint wrote:
Dear sopranodespair,

I have actually always sort of envied Christine. I mean, she is already pittied, as an orphan, and then, she gets to be seduced by an Opera Ghost, romanced by Raoul, faithfully befriended by Meg, pseudo-protected by Madam Griry, etc.

Christine seems lonely to me. Very pensive.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

First of all, it's Fanny PRICE in Mansfield Park. Fanny BRICE was a famous comedienne and singer on whose life Funny Girl was based. Second, I really hope that entire post was meant satirically, because I cannot believe anyone would seriously hold those views you expressed.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:09 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The role of Christine has more depth than anyone thinks.
It depends on the actress, I think so.
I understand her.

Singing and acting is so much important for this role!!
I saw two who shows the depth of the character:
Beatrix Reiterer and Andrea Mahó.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next