The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Phantom mishaps 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

So, this isn't so much a phantom mishap as much as it is a crazy occurance...

I went with my friend to see the show in NYC this past November. We got the seats in the way back, but hey, $30 dollar seats are great!! So, anywho, we are watching the Hannibal scene and I start hearing the woman 2 seats down from me trying to get her husband's attention (he was next to me). Then, she started shaking him.. she was beginning to panic. Suddenly, she burst out of her seat and said she was going to get help. I looked at the man next to me.. He wasn't moving. He was really flushed and did not look good. I tried asking the guy if he was ok.. I didn't know what to do! So, his wife and a few ushers came running up the isle and were checking on him. Then they started screaming for a doctor. People all around us had no idea what was going on, people down below were shooshing us because they thought there was just a commotion upstairs. Eventually, the house lights came on and (thank God), there was a doctor in the house. Someone called an ambulance. Everyone had to back out of the way.. the man was having a mild heart attack! It was awful. The show obviously came to a halt. The poor actors were like.. :? :? Then the curtain closed. The ambulance got there promptly. They put the poor man in a stretcher and carried him out of the mezzanine. He was getting better at that point, but he was embarrassed. But everyone gave him a hand when he left, which was really sweet. The show came back on and continued from where they left off. At curtain call, Howard McGillian announced that the man (don't remember his name) was in the hospital and doing much better. What a wild night! Poor guy...

Wed May 21, 2008 5:44 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
So, this isn't so much a phantom mishap as much as it is a crazy occurance...

I went with my friend to see the show in NYC this past November. We got the seats in the way back, but hey, $30 dollar seats are great!! So, anywho, we are watching the Hannibal scene and I start hearing the woman 2 seats down from me trying to get her husband's attention (he was next to me). Then, she started shaking him.. she was beginning to panic. Suddenly, she burst out of her seat and said she was going to get help. I looked at the man next to me.. He wasn't moving. He was really flushed and did not look good. I tried asking the guy if he was ok.. I didn't know what to do! So, his wife and a few ushers came running up the isle and were checking on him. Then they started screaming for a doctor. People all around us had no idea what was going on, people down below were shooshing us because they thought there was just a commotion upstairs. Eventually, the house lights came on and (thank God), there was a doctor in the house. Someone called an ambulance. Everyone had to back out of the way.. the man was having a mild heart attack! It was awful. The show obviously came to a halt. The poor actors were like.. :? :? Then the curtain closed. The ambulance got there promptly. They put the poor man in a stretcher and carried him out of the mezzanine. He was getting better at that point, but he was embarrassed. But everyone gave him a hand when he left, which was really sweet. The show came back on and continued from where they left off. At curtain call, Howard McGillian announced that the man (don't remember his name) was in the hospital and doing much better. What a wild night! Poor guy...

Oh my god George Lee Andrews told me that story!

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: Look at your face in the mirror...I am there inside!
Here's a site with a list of a bunch of Phantom mistakes:

http://www.freewebs.com/lamentablemess

My personal favorites:

Thomas James O'Leary's hair caught on fire once during the Final lair scene. While he was freeing Raoul from the noose, a spark from his candle ignited his hair. He stated in InTheater Magazine that he "was singing my heart out and suddenly I saw the cast--gasping in horror. I put my hand to my head and I felt flames. So I just started beating my skull madly, which went with the scene anyway, since I was having an emotional fit at Christine and Raoul. I don't think the audience noticed, but eveyone was poised backstage with fire extinguishers." It's an experience he says he would rather forget.

Hugh Panaro: I think I might’ve told you about the time I was stuck in the angel in Phantom, at the intermission? I didn’t? Oh my god… I think this was back in 1999, when I just did it for a very short time. It was at the very end of Act I, and I’m singing, “you will curse the day you did not do, all that the Phantom asked of you,” and that is where the angel is supposed to start being hydraulically lifted up, so that the Phantom can jump out and reappear somewhere else and make the chandelier go crashing to the floor. Well, something, there’s a glitch in the computer, and I was stuck in the angel and I had to yell, “go!” for the chandelier from there, which meant they couldn’t- the chandelier couldn’t fall because I was in the way. If the chandelier fell, it would’ve hit me and the angel. So that poor audience didn’t get to see the chandelier, and they also got to see me in the angel all through intermission. And it was very funny because people kept waving at me but I was trying to stay in character as the Phantom, so you know, I wasn’t waving back, I would kind of just look at them and give them a dirty look and I tried to stay as low as possible. They had to get one of the crew guys to bring a hand wench and crank me up so finally they were able to get me out of the angel and I was able to go change into the Red Death costume for Act II.

If you know the Phantom of the Opera well...
...you may be able to tell me what is wrong with the following lines (as spoken ONSTAGE at some point or other during a performance!):
"Please Monsieur don't look at me. Don't look at me. Don't look at me. Don't look at me...."
"He lives across the street, Monsieur!"
"There was a tiny circus in town!"
"There was a fairy in town"
"Miss Daae will be paying the playboy!"
"Who would have the balls to send this?"
"We are REHEARSING! If you wouldn't mind mating a moment!"

Regarding [Peter Karrie's] flub about the ducks . . .
I believe it went a little something like this:
"Seal my fate tonight
I hate to have to cut the prisoner short
but the ducks warring in
let my destiny ride
'cause the music's afire!"
Hehe, that's gotta be the best one. I think the cast gave him a plaque with those lyrics on it...

Peter Karrie's notorious for flubbed lines! Hee hee! Oh! Remember this one?... "An eternity of THIS *points to face* before your thighs."

"The Phantom is very dignified, very much his own man. I remember this one performance: the audience was mesmerised and you could feel the tension. I sang the bit: You will sing for me', put the chain around Christine's neck, and threw my cape in the air - and the trap didn't open. I even stamped on the door and nothing happened."
But the pyrochemicals went off, and Karrie was covered by a two-metre-long black cape, unable to see.
"It ended up with the two stage managers laughing like drains and leading me off into the wings. Total pantomime," said Karrie.

UK, John Owen-Jones: At the end of Point of No Return, when the Phantom's mask and wig is torn off, John Owen-Jones screams "Noooo! No! F**k! God****it! You lying… B***H!"

And to anyone at all!
--Sweeney Todd

Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

When i saw it, during Stranger than you Drempt it, Christine accidentally threw the mask into the audience.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Peter Karrie's notorious for flubbed lines! Hee hee! Oh! Remember this one?... "An eternity of THIS *points to face* before your thighs."

:lol: that's my favorite

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but when Christine takes off the Phantom's mask the first time, his wig fell off, but he seemed to have the exact same hair underneath it... I was like, "okay, maybe that was supposed to happen..." but in the next scene it was still lying there onstage and Carlotta kicked it off while she was stomping around...
Was it actually his wig that fell off? Am I missing something here?

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Have a little priest! wrote:

:lol: that's my favorite

Love :lol:

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Wicked, Addams Family, Cats, Phantom, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer
UK, John Owen-Jones: At the end of Point of No Return, when the Phantom's mask and wig is torn off, John Owen-Jones screams "Noooo! No! F**k! God****it! You lying… B***H!"[/quote]

that is soooo funny. if i was there i would have died of laughter!!!

Narwhal, Whale Sharks, and Zebras OH MY

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^ I heard the sound byte from that..... bahahaha

Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:21 am

I still want the backstory on why he did that....Plus I wanna know how he could scream like that for 8 shows a week and still has a beautiful voice.....

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I still want the backstory on why he did that....Plus I wanna know how he could scream like that for 8 shows a week and still has a beautiful voice.....

Well, sometimes he was more into the role than other times. His portrayal varied greatly, and so did his mood I think. The "bitch" screaming above was, as I see it, just a result of him being too much in character... He-he. He could openly admit it at the stage door as well, he didn't hesitate in telling if he had a good or bad day, bless him.

As for the screaming in general, he DID have vocal issues for a while, in the middle of his run. I don't know if the screaming was the cause of that, cause the man has got a ton of stamina, but his voice must have been tired at times.

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:25 pm
Profile WWW

Yakko wrote:

Well, sometimes he was more into the role than other times. His portrayal varied greatly, and so did his mood I think. The "bitch" screaming above was, as I see it, just a result of him being too much in character... He-he. He could openly admit it at the stage door as well, he didn't hesitate in telling if he had a good or bad day, bless him.

As for the screaming in general, he DID have vocal issues for a while, in the middle of his run. I don't know if the screaming was the cause of that, cause the man has got a ton of stamina, but his voice must have been tired at times.

Well I'd figured that he wouldn't be as tired....You know what? I want to hire him as my voice teacher!

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next