The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Phantom mishaps 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Last time I saw it was the tour, and the gondola simply didn't work. They walked across water all show. And poor Christine had to sleep on the floor after she fainted. Cudia almost took down the mirror when he revealed it, the fabric getting caught on the frame. And Firmin stepped on Andre's cloak in masquerade and ripped it quite nicely almost in half.

With McGillin, the goblet fell off the table from Don Juan, and McGillin tried to angrily phantom throw it out of the lair. But it only hit the organ and got caught around there.

Way back when, I saw it with Stephen R. Buntrock, The feather from his hat in the graveyard was in his face, and rather distracting, and he slipped on Christine's wedding veil in the final scene. It was rather exciting.

I think the only other obvious error was the first time I saw it with Gary Mauer, the flash pot that goes off when the Phantom dissapears during masquerade stayed partially lit almost the entire second notes scene until someone finally stamped it out with their foot.

Other than that, nothing but minor errors, slight line flubs, and missed notes, all too small for me to remember specifics.

I love phantom phlubs.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

When i saw it, during Stranger than you Drempt it, Christine accidentally threw the mask into the audience.

So, what did they do for the rest of the scene? She usually gives it back to him near the end of the number.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Greatest mishap I've seen was when Mia Karlsson (Copenhagen Christine) managed to rip off the Phantom's mask when she was to remove the Don Juan hood after PONR. The mask went flying, and landed on the floor with a bang, a couple of meters behind him. Peter Jorde (Copenhagen Phantom) saved it nicely: He immediately lifted his hand to cover his face, and then they stood there staring at eachother for a while. When Christine tried to flee the stage, he turned around, spotted the mask, put it on rapidly and continued the scene.

Great thing about this was that many in the audience thought they had already seen the unmasking, so when Christine ripped off the wig as well as the mask later on the effect was very strong. Very cool to see. :D

Another great mishap was in London some years ago. I had quarreled with a friend whether the Overture was playback or not. I explained that the first 2/3 of it is all playback, then the orchestra kicks in on top of the playback track towards the end. I mean, watch the orchestra and the conductor, and this is quite easy to see. He just didn't believe me. Ah well, I thought. The Auction scene is done, the Overture kicks in, and when the chandelier is starting to rise from the scene, the sound dies. It's dead silent, all you can hear is the sound of the "chrystals". The music kicks back in after probably three or four seconds, but it gives me just enough time to turn to my friend and give him an awfully content "I guess I won this discussion" look... :P

Other than that it's been tiny stuff - like a Proscenium drape getting caught and still hanging there in Hannibal, cast members almost falling, minor mishaps with the costumes etc.

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Oooh, there's been two great mishaps in Copenhagen, which I unfortunately didn't see (but I've sure heard about them later on).

One happened to Viktoria Krantz (Christine in 2002/2003). During the blackout in "Think of Me" the whole Hannibal rope skirt was removed (as is standard in European productions) and was to be replaced with the grand Elissa skirt. Well, for some reason they didn't manage to attach the skirt - so the dresser decided to take it offstage again! This meant poor Viktoria had to move around and sing her grand aria in what looked like a strange and tiny bathing suit... According to herself one of those moments that makes you wanna die.

She hoped someone would bring her the dressing gown early on for the "Angel of Music" scene, but no... Not until she hit the dressing room set was she able to put some more clothes on.

Ooooh, and then there's the story of a Phantom on fire! :lol: During the 2000-2003 season, the Copenhagen "skull-shooting-fire" stick in "Wandering Child" was wicked. It was probably the most impressive one I've seen, shooting what looked like big fire balls all over the stage. It LOOKED very impressive, but the downside was that it also put things on fire... One time Christine's wig almost caught fire, another time it damaged one of Tomas Ambt Kofod's (Raoul) eyes (he had to see a doctor after the show). The "greatest" effect still was that Phantom Preben Kristensen once managed to set his own feathery hat on fire... Which meant the stage technicians had to run out on the bridge, put a safety blanket over him, and take the hat offstage. All through this he kept on singing, finishing the scene to great applause.... =D>

Needless to say, when POTO reopened there in 2009, they had downgraded the skull stick, so it only gave out small "pfffffts". I can see why they did it, but it looked so dull. :?

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
:lol: I love the Karrie lines...my mom and dad saw the Toronto production near the end of it's 10 year run in 1999, when Karrie was palying the title role...it would be interesting to know if they caught any Karrie lines when they saw it...

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
And it was very funny because people kept waving at me but I was trying to stay in character as the Phantom, so you know, I wasn’t waving back, I would kind of just look at them and give them a dirty look and I tried to stay as low as possible.

I can only imagine how hilarious this whole thing must have been to witness. LOL!

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:23 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Phantom mishaps
[quote="jcstar"]I have seen three actors fall down the staircase in act 2.
quote]

if that happens do they restart the scene

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:43 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Marina Prior, one of the original Aussie Christines mentioned on TV the other night that once someone got into a fight in the audience. Apparantly someone was a little bit drunk and talking, someone behind them told them to shut up, then she said they got up and starting punching eachother. I was amused. Very much. She said she's also had someone DIE when she was performing, but she did't specifically mention whether it was in Phantom or not.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:31 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

This is from a Michael Crawford interview, one night in London he kissed Sarah very passionately and the latex lips came of and stuck to her! He "puled her back for seconds" and pressed them back on but they were slightly akimbo

Quote:
Very beginning of the show. They’re auctioning off the monkey box, and the auctioneer is taking bids. Fifteen francs. Twenty… Suddenly, a man in the audience yells out, “Forty!” He outbid Raoul!

:lol: :lol:

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3