The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Christine Daae Acting 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Christine Daae Acting
Everyone knows that Christine is a VERY demanding vocal part, but what about the acting? I hear a lot of complaints about Sarah Brightman and Emmy Rossum's poor acting in the role. How do you guys think the character of Christine should be portrayed?

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think Christine is sometimes poorly acted because the typical actresses that could perform that role have focused more on their voice throughout their careers.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:01 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I don't think the problem with Rossum and Brightman were that they couldn't act...just that they didn't...they didn't weld the two together...

I have yet to see the part acted well...all three times I saw it it was sung well...

I would think that WYWSHA for instance would make her morbidly depressed...I would think she would be in tears...or break down and sort of collapse at the climax...that would make the song that much more moving.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:04 pm

I think Rachel Barrell had a good take on the role.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I agree with the above. Rachel Barrel is by far my favorite "Christine" when it comes to acting.

I do think that when it comes to Phantom, the most important thing for Christine is to sing well. In some cases, she can be portrayed as just a pretty thing that both leading men have fallen for, and nothing would be incorrect in that. However, I think the experience of watching the show is altogether more moving if Christine, too, had depth.

Just my opinion, though. ^^

Auds:
Thoroughly Modern Millie, High School Musical
Just Finished:
The Nightingale of Smarkand in Once Upon A Mattress

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I can't quite understand why the acting is so nonexistent, as songs like "Wishing..." make it perfectly clear how they should be acted, and yet the young ladies do not seem to comprehend that.

Christine is a much deeper character than she is usually acted. sigh.

I`ve been waitin` for the light to shine...

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:20 pm

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
I've seen the show 33 times and every single Chrstine I've seen has acted the role almost the same, with little to no variation.

I don't think it has so much to do with lack of acting ability. I think the actors just aren't allowed that much artistic freedom in those types of shows due to Cammacks insistence that the show should be carbon-copied around the world in every way. I think the actors are given a basic framework on how to approach their roles and anything outside of that is considered a no-no. I could be wrong, but it certainly seems that way.

The same applies with every single Raoul, Carlotta, Mme. Giry, Meg, Piangi I've seen. All basically the same interpretation; Meg with her horrific, out of tune singing voice and wooden acting, Christine as a deer caught in headlights, Raoul with British accent and very stiff, Mme. Giry as creepy and stoic, and Piangi and Carlotta are always waaay over the top and obnoxious.

The only character who's interpretation has varied in my experience is that of the Phantom.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:20 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
I think Rachel Barrell had a good take on the role.

I agree, Rachel really acted the part well.x

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:22 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Ana Marina
I saw Ana Marina in the current Australian production in Melbourne and she is a fantastic actress!, I agree a lot of actresses don't seem to be able to bring out the emotion or bring depth and detail to the role but Ana Marina was truly brilliant her 'Wishing' she was absolutely heartbreaking with the emotion, you could see she really needed to move on and let go to move on with her life. You could clearly see each thought and emotion throughout her performance, she was truely passionate and you could tell she was giving her all to the role. Final lair was also just superb, she's a truley exceptional and talented actress. I have never been moved as much as I was when seeing/hearing Ana Marina. Her voice was equaly brilliant, strong and crystal clear and so expressive. My absolute standout favourite Christine.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:22 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I don't think the problem with Rossum and Brightman were that they couldn't act...just that they didn't...they didn't weld the two together...

I completely agree. I just really had issues with Emmy Rossum, though. She was the thing that really took the film down for me. I won't even get started!

Anyway, I will say that the first time I saw it, I think that the actress I saw (Diane Frantantoni) was actually decent, acting wise. She sang quite well, too. It was a very pleasant surprise.

The second time I saw it, though, it was just a great disappointment for me. The actress seemed to be overplaying the character. Making her a little too vulnerable, I guess. Her voice was kind of irritating. Slightly screechy. Not much meat to it. So, the combination of the two made her extremely annoying. I feel that the when they are casting the show they should pay a little more attention to the person they are ultimately choosing to play their lead! It is a little ridiculous that Carlotta is basically always better (considering Christine is supposed to be the standout here!). So, I will say that I am pretty content to have seen at least Frantantoni doing a satisfactory job!

I think a person should pay just as much attention to their stage presentation and acting as well as their voice. After all, they aren't just singing these songs in a concert! They are acting in a musical play!

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:16 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Hey
Emmy Rossum singing/acting is HORRIBLE!
She puts no expression, emotion to the song

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:33 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Ana Marina
crystalphan wrote:
I saw Ana Marina in the current Australian production in Melbourne and she is a fantastic actress!, I agree a lot of actresses don't seem to be able to bring out the emotion or bring depth and detail to the role but Ana Marina was truly brilliant her 'Wishing' she was absolutely heartbreaking with the emotion, you could see she really needed to move on and let go to move on with her life. You could clearly see each thought and emotion throughout her performance, she was truely passionate and you could tell she was giving her all to the role. Final lair was also just superb, she's a truley exceptional and talented actress. I have never been moved as much as I was when seeing/hearing Ana Marina. Her voice was equaly brilliant, strong and crystal clear and so expressive. My absolute standout favourite Christine.

I second that. I saw Ana a couple of weeks ago. The Melbourne show with Anthony Warlow and Ana Marina just works. Quite simply, it's amazing.

Currently: Waiting for show season, :)
Past Roles: Sarah Brown - Guys and Dolls, Silly Girl - Beauty and the Beast, Patty - Grease, Zsa Zsa - Bats, Jenny - Class of 77

Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next