The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Madam Girey Question... 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Fan
Post Madam Girey Question...
Perhaps my question was awnsered in the actual stage show or the book (I've only seen the movie... :( ), but is the Madam Girey from the prologue (very old Madam Girey) the same Madam Girey in the rest of the play (regular old Madam Girey) or is it Meg (Madam Girey's daughter)?

I think she looks too young to be the real Madam Girey and think it may be Meg....I mean, old Raoul looks ancient next to her, but she deffinatly looks a bit older in the rest of the show.

I hope that isn't too confusing!! Thanks!

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Oklahoma!, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer

She's a myserious one, the ageing thing making her even more so.

Recent: Ado Annie - Oklahoma!, Cecilia - Purple Rose of Cairo

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Old Madame Giry in the Auction scene is intended to be the same as the ballet mistress Madame Giry (not Meg Giry).

I can see why you are confused about this, because (as you say) Raoul looks quite a bit older than her. But the actress playing Madame Giry in the movie is the same in both the auction scene and the other scenes (ditto for the stage shows), and it's meant to show one last interactment between Raoul and the mysterious Madame.

Personally I also believe that had they intended it to be Meg (Madame Giry's daughter) they would have used the girl playing Meg. Seeing how old they got fairly young Patrick Wilson to appear old, they would manage the same with Jennifer Ellison. And if it were indeed Meg, she would not have been titulated "Madame Giry" - she would either have married and not kept her maiden name, or remained Mademoiselle (Miss) Giry.

If that makes sense....

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:39 am
Profile WWW

Yes it does. Thank you. My biggest thing was that I couldn't tell if it was Miranda Richardson or Jennifer Ellison.

I think that something else that made me question it was that Meg found the music box, and I thought that maybe that would be significant to the auction scene.

But I see now that it is norman Madam Girey. Thank you for your help!

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:58 am
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
You mean that was actually Patrick Wilson inthe Prologue? 8O I always though that they just got some old guy who could sing decently to do that part...Though I am aware that in the stage show they use the same actor for old and young Raoul...I was also confused about the prologue in both the stage show and movie. I've always assumed that Madame Giry was too old to survive until that point...I'm mean Raoul was about ready to kick the bucket himself, and considering that Madame Giry was quite a bit older than him...I would have assumed she'd already be dead, so it would be Meg at the auction instead. But everyone here says it IS Madame Giry, not Meg at the auction. I guess I can kind ofsee that because Madame is a very mysterious character and we never really k ow exactly how old she is. Personally I like ALW's Madame Giry better then Leroux's who origianlly wrote her a superticious old bag. anyway, just my opinion.

Last edited by Mistress on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

When I saw the stage show, I always assumed it was just regular Madame.

But another user right above me made a good point that she would have been very old by that point, and in those days, probably dead.

So it very well could be Meg. We may never know.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:01 am

The stage show is different from the film in that aspect. In the stage show it is just a random woman, but in the film she's Madame Giry.

About Madame Giry being dead and all... She and the Phantom have the same age and the Phantom is still alive (--> the rose at Christine's tomb), so why wouldn't she be?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:11 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Other...
I personally thought at the beginning, the old woman was intended to be Meg...but however, they might make her the normal Mme Giry for a twist?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

So it very well could be Meg. We may never know.

Yes, we will know. The screenplay was included in the "Companion Book" that was published at the time the film was released and it clearly states that it is MADAME Giry, not Meg Giry.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:35 am
Profile WWW

Yes. And it has been stated above that it is in fact Madame Giry and not Meg, so I guess that answers the question and this is a done deal.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:14 pm
Profile WWW

However, as Meg got older, what stopped the community from calling HER Madam Giry?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

However, as Meg got older, what stopped the community from calling HER Madam Giry?

Because Madame is used for married women. If Meg had married, she'd have become Madame So-and-So. She would have remained Mademoiselle Giry as long as she was unmarried, regardless of age.

For example, my favorite French teacher was a very beautiful elderly woman who had never married. She was always Mademoiselle Tribot-Laspierre, regardless of her age.

Besides, the screenplay is fairly specific in noting that it's MADAME Giry, not her daughter, in those scenes. If I could find my copy of the book, I'd quote it.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next