The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Does anyone ever see the rights.... 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW_TV_THE_PHANTOM_OF_THE_OPERA_Now_Available_for_School_Rentals_20100603

It's actually happening.....

and I won't be surprised if my former high school attempts it. Ick.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:35 am

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Cats, A Chorus line, Tarzan
My god this is horrible! I was about to slam my head into a wall when I found out!...

I could bare colleges with great musical theatre or opera programs doing it (at least vocally)- but high schools?! seriously? I am allready starting to be afraid of the upcoming videos of some high school carlotta/christine trying to sing a Super E- or som youngster attempting to be phantom.. this is a very sad moment!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
I concur with Yakko. In all seriousness though, keep an open mind, guys. Elon University, one of the two pilot colleges and a fairly reputable musical theatre school in the US, is not far from where I live and I heard extremely good things about the production. I'm not saying all productions will be good, or even most, but a few companies will be able to pull it off well enough. I would be more welcoming of this news if the rights were just being released to colleges.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Cats, A Chorus line, Tarzan
I concur with Yakko. In all seriousness though, keep an open mind, guys. Elon University, one of the two pilot colleges and a fairly reputable musical theatre school in the US, is not far from where I live and I heard extremely good things about the production. I'm not saying all productions will be good, or even most, but a few companies will be able to pull it off well enough. I would be more welcoming of this news if the rights were just being released to colleges.

I agree with you- some productions will be fine. After a reconsideration I think some of the unis/colleges with great musicaltheatre/opera-programs, like the one you mentioned, will be able to pull it off (on the video there was some short clips of a a college, and it were pretty good), my big problem is the high school license- I don't think any high school will be able to do it proberly in any way- especially not vocally! They are far to young and untrained for such a demanding score and show. I think it's bad enough that high schools does les mis, and that show doesn't even require half the classical training of phantom.
Not to mention the orchestra? Ballet dancers? I don't see how it's possible for a high school..

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:45 am

There are definitely many colleges with great music/theater programs that could handle it, but high school? Voices just aren't mature enough at that age, and unless it is very talented performing art school, I can't imagine a successful high school production. I have known a girl that could sing Carlotta/Christine's part in high school, but it is still risky business for singing it at such a young age. I won't be surprised if they offer less challenging vocal alternatives for both roles (such as key changes, etc) like they did in the Les Mis SE.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:28 am

Current Obsession: Shaw
There are definitely many colleges with great music/theater programs that could handle it, but high school? Voices just aren't mature enough at that age, and unless it is very talented performing art school, I can't imagine a successful high school production. I have known a girl that could sing Carlotta/Christine's part in high school, but it is still risky business for singing it at such a young age. I won't be surprised if they offer less challenging vocal alternatives for both roles (such as key changes, etc) like they did in the Les Mis SE.

That would be a great idea, but by the announcement this release is not a school edition - it's the full show.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Obviously the precious high E and the entire end of the title song would get the chop. Reducing the technical difficulty of Christine's part wouldn't be that hard, but I still worry about the vocal stamina required for the role. And what to do about Carlotta? Yeesh.

Okay, I'm 21 now, but in high school I'd developed an exaggerated-for-laughs faux-operatic Carlotta voice that actually didn't tax me too much because I sang it lower than it was written but the timbre kind of disguised it, and people got the right idea from it and were amused. If they make Carlotta a character-voice "bad singer" in this edition it might work.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
Orestes Fasting wrote:

Obviously the precious high E and the entire end of the title song would get the chop. Reducing the technical difficulty of Christine's part wouldn't be that hard, but I still worry about the vocal stamina required for the role. And what to do about Carlotta? Yeesh.

Okay, I'm 21 now, but in high school I'd developed an exaggerated-for-laughs faux-operatic Carlotta voice that actually didn't tax me too much because I sang it lower than it was written but the timbre kind of disguised it, and people got the right idea from it and were amused. If they make Carlotta a character-voice "bad singer" in this edition it might work.

Even if Carlotta is played that way, you still need two more-than-amazing singer!!

I've been working on my former high school's productions, as an actor or in the production team for a while and I can say that in every productions, there is always a couple of amazing kids who can sing demanding high school roles (Millie in TMM, Grizabella in Cats, Belle and Beast in BatB). Those roles are hard, but still, they're far away from what you need to play the Phantom or Christine!!

I can't wait to see hundreds of high school videos on Youtube.
With those kind of comments :
"ZOMG my friend played the Phantom he was soooooooo SEXYYYYY !!!1"

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:51 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
](*,) This can't be happening. Seriously, they need to lay some strit ground rules about his show for me to be satisfied. 1. Arts colleges and high schools only. 2. The production must have leads that were classically trained in voice. 3. Some kind of accountability to make sure the production design isn't too simple.

That's my 2 cents on the issue.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:14 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You don't need classical training to play any part in Phantom of the Opera with perhaps the exception of Christine, although she usually pre-record her highest notes, so she only has to do the "hard parts" once and then she is good to go.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:22 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Someone posted the casting requirements on here, and I think it was Carlotta and Piangi that required classical training, Christine didn't.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next