The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Does anyone ever see the rights.... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

hmmm I don't know about giving Highschoolers the rights to perform POTO. Les Miserables, is different. I've seen a HS production of Les Miserables, that was just glorious. It depends on the talent of the HS actors. But POTO, I don't know.... how could HS productions pull off the chandalier part?! I don't know, maybe. It would be difficult, but maybe....

Much thanks to xxstagekiss for the wonderful banner.

Last edited by What Is This Feeling? on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I can almost hit the high E. Just a little more practice.

~yay~

Ok. i lied. ALOT more practice

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

What are everyone's thoughts on a school edition of Phantom?

The changes to the SE of Les Mis are mostly cuts to bring it under three hours, but some of them are also transpositions, simplifications, and cuts to make the music easier for high-school students to handle. Anyone think it would be possible to make Phantom feasible for high schools without murdering the show?

Obviously the precious high E and the entire end of the title song would get the chop. Reducing the technical difficulty of Christine's part wouldn't be that hard, but I still worry about the vocal stamina required for the role. And what to do about Carlotta? Yeesh.

But still, if they could do it without butchering the show, I think a heavily edited school edition (with strict licensing requirements to make sure nothing got added back in, of course) would be a good compromise: a way for high schools to perform a very popular show without ruining young voices.

Actually, a Phantom SE would make much more sense than the LMSE, as unlike Phantom, the music of the original Les Mis isn't beyond the capacity of talented high school students.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

While we're on the subject of vocally challenging shows and the prospects of high schoolers singing them...

Last year my school performed The Pirates of Penzance. Anybody who knows that show knows that, being an operetta, it is almost ALL sung, and many parts, particularly the lead roles, are very vocally demanding.

I'll just say, that even with a school of only freshmen, sophomores and juniors, we rocked that show's ass off.

It Is a Wonderful Life: George Bailey
The Pirates of Penzance: The Pirate King

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well I think I originally started this thread saying mature amature productions of this show could be done. AKA good Community theatres. Especially now being in a production of evita. Highschool might be a little rough. I do remember a couple girls being able to sing the stuff but that was 2 in the four years I was there.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Rights, rights, rights....
When you wrote the note below, where did you get the info. that the rights to Phantom should be out within the year? This is the first I have heard of it. Feedback appreciated.

beck wrote:
my school did les mis last year and we pulled it off amazingly.
the rights for POTO are supposed to come out within a year. and so, for next year, our music program is contemplating phantom, beauty and the beast, possibly chicago if our school board will allow it.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I seriously DOUBT that Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera" will ever be released for non-pro/school/commumity theatre.

I would thingk that Andrew would be desperate for money for that to happen.

He''s rich. It is not going to happen.

The only way that the rights will EVER be released is 50-75 years after Andrew has died. Then, things become Public Domain... if there are no rights being held by family, that is.

Andy.[/u]

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Glinda Upland wrote:
I can almost hit the high E. Just a little more practice.

~yay~

Ok. i lied. ALOT more practice

Hehe. I can :).

But I used to take vocal lessons so I have a quite broad range.

I agree, I dont think high school students could pull it off. Well, I think they can, just not very well. I know some really talented people but when you mix the really talented people with the not-so-talented, it comes out medeocre (sp?).

If you cant say it, sing it.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:19 am
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Last year my school performed The Pirates of Penzance.

My school was thinking about doing it this year and I was getting really excited about it, but then they decided not to. :cry:

If you cant say it, sing it.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:02 am
Profile YIM

There will probably not be a school edition of POTO because MTI is the only royalty company that does that kind of stuff. All of Webber's other shows are owned by The Rodger and Hammerstein Theatricals, except for Sunset BLVD., which I don't think anyone ownes. R&H does have one hour versions of some of their shows however, so there could be that...

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:04 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I agree with the above who stated that quite a bit of Les Miz was transposed for the school edition. If rights were ever released for schools they would most likey to the same and make it possible for any high schooler calling themself a Soprano to sing Christine's and Carlotta's parts.

I`ve been waitin` for the light to shine...

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:37 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

yeah i agree they probably won't release the rights but if they did that would be absolutely awesome. I'm only going into high school next year and i can sing Christine's parts.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next