The Resource For Musicals

Once Upon a Mattress Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Scene Breakdown Q's 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Scene Breakdown Q's
Are the king, minstrel, and/or jester in "Song of Love"? Or are they all working on hiding Larken? Anyone in this before have some thoughts for me?

Directing this in a few months and am working on scene breakdown/rehearsal schedule. Probably more Q's to come, so thanks in advance for your help!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Scene Breakdown Q's
In the production I was in, only the Jester was in "Song of Love", but he probably didn't need to be.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:03 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
None of them were in the number in our production, although the Jester was in the "Spanish Panic."

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:17 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

If I recall correctly, the Jester was in "Song of Love" in my high school's production - at least I recall him being. I'm not 100% sure.

For some reason, our choreographer put me in Spanish Panic as the Wizard. It was actually sort of awkward because when the couples get tired, instead of getting tired on stage and I made a very quick run/dance offstage completely disappearing from the scene.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:35 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: The Marvelous Wonderettes, Grease, Jersey Boys
When I did it (as Jester), we had all three in Song of Love, mainly because it takes place right after the dance (our Larken did Spanish Panic). Our rationale behind it: the Queen would notice if we weren't there for Spanish Panic, so we got together and conspired during part of it. Also, Fred should take the Minstrel's lute for one of the verses, and she did the funny pantomime with the jester.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Basingstoke wrote:
When I did it (as Jester), we had all three in Song of Love, mainly because it takes place right after the dance (our Larken did Spanish Panic).

Larken being in Spanish Panic doesn't make logistical sense. A) She's pregnant, and dancing such a lively dance might upset her baby. B) Harry is dancing with Mabelle, which is hard enough to watch without Larken being there. C) The Spanish Panic is thrown in Fred's honor, and Larken and Fred don't become friends until halfway through Act II.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:02 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: The Marvelous Wonderettes, Grease, Jersey Boys
I don't disagree with it not making logistical sense that she was dancing. The problem was our Larken was one of the best dancers in the show, so the choreographer felt she should be in it. But also, I don't think it matters when Larken and Fred become friends. The Queen is the one who is in charge of the ball, and she orders everyone in the court to attend. Even if we didn't have her dancing, Larken should be there during Spanish Panic just so the Queen doesn't find anything suspicious.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]