The Resource For Musicals

Once Upon a Mattress Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Sir Harry 
Post Sir Harry
[size=9]Im playing Sir Harry right now for a local theatre - does anyone have any suggestions on how to play the scene where Harry and Larken are discussing their sun set experiance (aka "im going to have a baby..." scene). Im in a fix between playing it impatiently with Larken or playing the scene innocently with that "i know exactly what happened" grin. [/i][/size]

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:12 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm in it right now playing Larken and our Harry is playing him EXTREMELY arrogant, so Larken's big ole speech where she's like OH the joust, the picnic, the lark...blah blah blah he acts very unattatched and bored and doesn't listen, but when she says "And then we watched the sun go down..." he gets really interested with that grin you were talking about, because I say it seductively I guess you could say hahaha and once I say I'm having a baby he acts like he's trying to be uninterested again ...hope I was a bit of help! :mrgreen:

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:36 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I agree, Harry comes off to me as very pompous and self-important, otherwise he'd be more willing to sacrifice his position and elope. If I were playing the part, when she mentions the sunset I'd do a little 'heh heh' giggle, like you're reliving the experience thinking "Oh, yeah, boy was I great that night. Wow, am I awesome." and flattering yourself into thinking she'll tell you the same. When she pops the big news, I'd act way over-shocked, but then regain your composure quickly and deliberately.

-Mama Euralie (Once on this Island)
Current role:
-None right now.
Next audition:
BaTB: Can probably only get chorus.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:29 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Sir Harry
It's late, but for anyone looking for a description if Harry, I'm playing him now, and basically what I can get out of the script and what feels natural on stage is that Harry is basically this self-centered, arrogant, entitled d-bag with a heart of gold. He does;t know or mean to be a big jerk, that's just the way he is, but h loves Larkin and the kingdom just as much as he loves himself, so that's quite a lot.

Tue May 29, 2012 10:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]