The Resource For Musicals

Once Upon a Mattress Forum

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Vocal Ranges 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

in which song does the jester go up to the A-flat. Like is normandy the song with all the really high notes, or are they all like that?

Tue May 22, 2007 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I'm getting ready to be in this play, i'm_back, and my friend and I were recently talking about this, because we were talking about finding sheet music for the vocal selections. It really depends on which part the jester in your version of OUAM is singing. This might just be the music we found, I don't know, but in the songs where both the jester and the minstrel sing, their parts are written on the same clef. So it's really up to your director whether or not you have the high parts in the songs that both the jester and the minstrel sing, because it doesn't specify who sings what. Don't know if that helps or not. :)

Wed May 23, 2007 7:30 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Larken
Thank you. I appreciate this so much, you can't even imagine. I am auditioning for this show in ohhh.... 5 days. Still have open audition song options... I have an idea of what I want to do...I just hope it works out. I'm hoping to go for Lady Larken. I simply cannot wait! :D

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: harry
LaurelDP wrote:
MarkGonzalesss wrote:
it says that sir harry's part is a tenor but i'm a bass in my high school choir..singing harry's parts weren't much of a problem..the only challenge i had was singing some notes in "Yesterday I Loved You" and maybe a note or two in "In a Little While"..singing "two" in "one, two, three, for," took a lot of concentration...

What's with Basses getting cast in Tenor roles, haha?

I just saw a production of Assassins where a real bass played the Balladeer, haha.

I have nothing against it, mind you. More power to you.

I am a baritone playing Harry and have had no real problems other than "Yesterday I loved you" and the word "glove" in "In a Little While".

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer

Would anyone mind telling me in which song Larken's A-flat is?

gretchen weiners [lyss.ana.maggie.plasticlove<3]

Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:18 pm

Fri May 02, 2008 4:49 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm auditioning at the beginning of November, which is a while a way but I needed a new musical to obsess over

Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:41 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: harry
dcrowley wrote:
LaurelDP wrote:
MarkGonzalesss wrote:
it says that sir harry's part is a tenor but i'm a bass in my high school choir..singing harry's parts weren't much of a problem..the only challenge i had was singing some notes in "Yesterday I Loved You" and maybe a note or two in "In a Little While"..singing "two" in "one, two, three, for," took a lot of concentration...

What's with Basses getting cast in Tenor roles, haha?

I just saw a production of Assassins where a real bass played the Balladeer, haha.

I have nothing against it, mind you. More power to you.

I am a baritone playing Harry and have had no real problems other than "Yesterday I loved you" and the word "glove" in "In a Little While".

I was cast as larken and i just had my first vocal with harry and he is a true bass and its really rough we've had to change octaves

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I'm a high tenor voice and was casted as the Jester, even though they said my range was perfect for the Minstrel. Our Minstrel was an EXTREMELY poor bass instead. And, since we're on the topic of "Mattress" vocal ranges, I have posted this claim before, but I'm very proud of it, which was because our Fred was a very low alto (and a stuck up Prima Donna who constantly gets vocally strained or sick during musical) they had me, in full Jester costume, do her "Song of Love" vocalization. It brought the house down. If I ever learn how to update videos, I will put my school's on Youtube and provide a link to show all of you.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:18 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Yikes. Did they change the key for "Many Moons Ago?" It gets way up there...and how did they block the Jester singing "Song of Love?" He's not even onstage during that.

I hate people who think they are God's gift to theatre and can't even sing their own songs.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:33 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Billy Bigelow
Main Role: Director
Post Re: Vocal Ranges
ESPECIALLY with the Minstrel. I mean, that's a damn hard role to sing, and when you start casting baritone/bass kids in that role...it just doesn't work out. As YouTube demonstrates quite clearly.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next