The Resource For Musicals

Once Upon a Mattress Forum

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Vocal Ranges 

Post Vocal Ranges
Here are the vocal ranges for each character, as they are in the materials issued by R&H for productions. Titles such as "alto" or "tenor" are my own approximations but are not to be taken as scripture because, for most roles, the ranges overlap such that most people can probably do them.

Princess Winnifred: Alto/Mezzo Belter. Low A to High D-flat (with one high F ["and I hear the ca-AAAAL of the swamps of home"] which can just be shrieked without much quality, if necessary).

Prince Dauntless: Baritone. Low A to High E.

Queen Aggravain: Alto. Low A to B. (Her song can be speak-sung if need be.)

King Sextimus: (Non-singing.)

Lady Larken: Soprano. Low D-flat to High A-flat.

Sir Harry: Tenor. Low C to High F. (See Note #1 below)

Minstrel: Tenor. Low D to High A-flat. (See Note #2 below)

Jester: Tenor. Low D-flat to High A-flat. (See Note #2 below)

Wizard: Baritone. Low A to A. (Has two very brief singing lines in the Queen's big number, "Sensitivity" which can simply be faked if necessary).

Nightengale of Samarkand: G-flat to High G. (The score calls for the "Nightengale Lullaby" to be whistled, and you can hear it done that way on the OBC. However, some productions opt for the song to be vocalized like on the Sarah Jessica Parker revival recording.)

Note #1: In "Yesterday I Loved You," Harry and Larken sing on the same staff without specification of who sings which line. The higher part on that shared staff goes up to a high G. Larken already sings higher than that, but some MD's may prefer for Harry to do that note.

Note #2: In "Normandy," the Minstrel and Jester sing on the same staff without specification of who sings which line. The higher part on that shared staff goes up to a top B. Depending on the MD's discretion, that note may be given to either of them (or even to Larken, although she does have her own note specified on a separate staff).

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:40 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Last shows:
Godspell, "Day by Day" & "By My Side"
Lisa, Quilters a musical [wonderful show!]

Favorite Role:
Meg Brockie, Brigadoon

Allstar prop:
Meg Brockie's rocking chair, Brigadoon

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:59 pm
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Harry
I've been preparing to audition for Sir Harry and I noticed that the two recordings (Original and the Revival) have him sing in different keys.

Does anyone know which key is supplied with the licensed version?

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:32 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post harry
I think when I was in this show, the key was the same as on the original recording, with Carol Burnett I believe?

:mrgreen:

Last edited by norayouadora on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:44 pm
Profile WWW

Correct, the OBC with Carol Burnett is the closest to the licensed version.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:54 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post harry
it says that sir harry's part is a tenor but i'm a bass in my high school choir..singing harry's parts weren't much of a problem..the only challenge i had was singing some notes in "Yesterday I Loved You" and maybe a note or two in "In a Little While"..singing "two" in "one, two, three, for," took a lot of concentration...

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: harry
MarkGonzalesss wrote:
it says that sir harry's part is a tenor but i'm a bass in my high school choir..singing harry's parts weren't much of a problem..the only challenge i had was singing some notes in "Yesterday I Loved You" and maybe a note or two in "In a Little While"..singing "two" in "one, two, three, for," took a lot of concentration...

What's with Basses getting cast in Tenor roles, haha?

I just saw a production of Assassins where a real bass played the Balladeer, haha.

I have nothing against it, mind you. More power to you.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

And being a bass cast in a tenor role helps strengthen your voice and make it higher.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
Main Role: Performer
Post Vocal ranges
This is awesome ...really helpful! Thanks a lot =D>

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks for posting this. My school is having auditions for Once Upon A Mattress the first week of March and so I'm really excited! I'm an alto and I'm glad to know how high each part goes and which recording to sing along with. Earlier in the fall my school did "Syliva" and I was Sylvia and my friend was Kate. We had been listening to the Ella Fitzgerald version of "Every Time We Say Goodbye" so it was a bit of a shock when we learned we were singing in the wrong key. Anyways...that song went up to High Eb with 1 high F in the whole song so it should be about the same as Winnifred's part.
Thanks again!

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:12 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Knitting, tea, and Shakespeare, ideally at once.
I'm a really low alto, and I'm currently playing Fred in my school's production (which opens Friday... *gulp*). By and large, the songs are absolutely fine with my range. We ended up transposing "Shy" down a step because I was having trouble belting the B natural (SHY!), but that may have been partially due to a mental block. My high range has actually gotten stronger because of this role; it shouldn't be too much of a problem for an alto. If some of the shorter high notes give you trouble, just inject a lot of character into them to cover the fact that you can't sing them very well. Good luck with your audition!

Oh... don't try to learn the songs off of the revival recording. I did that for seven or eight months, only to find out after being cast that the songs are all at least a half step higher in the licensed version. That was a very nasty shock that I wouldn't wish upon anybody.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:36 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Favourite Past Roles:
Nancy-Oliver!
Brookette - Little Shop of Horrors
Blousey - Bugsy Malone
Mrs. Bucket - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next