The Resource For Musicals

Oliver! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Could an older Dodger work? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I played Dodger last year - I was 20, though I might have ended up looking 18 in the production.

I was actually phoned in for the role after initial auditions. I don't know if no decent young actors came out for it, or if he had wanted to cast Dodger older from the start. When I asked him about me being, well, obviously not a younger kid, he said he thought it would work. In my case we would approach Dodger as "Fagin in training." Another bit of interesting casting - the director claimed not to have intended to cast a female as Oliver, but he did so claiming that she was the best person to come out for the role.

The one thing I found screwy was the voice part, since Dodger in the score is a boy soprano. Being a baritone, I of course had to drop everything an octave, which was a little odd sounding for the lower parts of the role. And then in ensemble singing, like "Pick a Pocket or Two," I was singing an octave below everyone else if I sang in my range. For the sake of cohesiveness I usually ended up in falsetto for the gang songs.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

jackissensational wrote:
Elijah Wood tried it and it was just kinda'... awkward. People are just used to seeing a little kid, I guess. I am.

Haha I hadn't heard that Elijah Wood did that, so I youtubed it.. and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cz8KyyKg0

HAHA, it is awkward!

Ha, I <3 Elijah Wood. Wow.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:27 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I like to see an older boy take on the role of Dodger, I don't like the fact that everyone things of dodger as a cute 10 year old and I would much prefer a more streetwise adolecent in the role

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:01 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Les Misérables
Main Role: Fan
I saw a professional production of Oliver! here in Finland last year and Dodger was played by an adult. I think it worked very nicely.

Maybe it's a different thing with me than some long-time fan, though: I knew nothing about the show beforehand and had no idea that he was supposed to played by a kid...

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Could an older Dodger work?
Here's an interesting clip of an adult Dodger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddjZ2vMFxw

Personally I like Dodger as a kid, but older than Oliver. My daughter just got cast in a local production (she's in Fagin's gang), and for that production, the casting breakdown was age 8-12 for Oliver and 12-15 for Dodger (with Dodger's age depending on who was cast for Oliver). That sounds about right to me.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:00 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Sound of Music
Main Role: Performer
I think an older Dodger is fine, but not to old. Although I am partial to a younger Dodger (Jack Wild in the 1968 film was fantastic IMO), I like how The Guard put it:

The Guard wrote:
I think it'd be kind of funny, touching, and at the same time, a bit sad, to have this immature older kid who thinks he's wise to the ways of the world because of what he's learned from Fagin and Bill, who still gets outshined by little Oliver. It adds almost a whole other dimension to various character interactions, the jealousies, lifestyle choices, etc.

So I think 14/15 or even sixteen would be a fine age for him to be portrayed... however, much older I think would me more pathetic then thoughtful. Because at the end of the day, Dodger is just another kid pulled in by fantasies of Fagin.

*shrug*

Tue May 22, 2012 1:36 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

But Dodger is suppossed to be 18.

Tue May 22, 2012 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Sound of Music
I suppose so. After all, I am just biased for the productions I have seen (portraying him younger.) ;) :P I haven't seen an older actor play him yet.

Tue May 22, 2012 2:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2