The Resource For Musicals

Oliver! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
How evil should Bill be? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: How evil should Bill be?
These are some pretty good amateur versions of the song.

Also, just for laughs:

Clearly the best Sykes ever LOL.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Having done Oliver three different times, I can attest to the fact that I saw Bill played three very different ways:

a) The Bill when I played Noah Claypoole was, as stated before in this thread, a very calm and quiet, but menacing type. He would say some of his lines in an almost ominous whisper. It actually worked quite well, as the guy who played Bill was a very large, very broad looking dude.

b) The second Bill (when I was a chorus member) did the exact opposite, he was the ranting, raving "I am a psychotic lunatic" Bill Sykes. His "My Name", unfortunately, wound up being unintentionally hilarious, as he just bounded all over stage, yelling the lyrics to the song at the top of his voice. The woman who played Nancy admitted a few times it was hard to look/act scared of him, as he was just too over the top, and there were times she would almost snicker at the over the top-ness.

c) The third Bill (the production where I played Mr. Sourberry and Dr. Grimwig), kinda played his part a'la Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. Started out all cocky and what not, strutting around on stage with ominous air of menace about him. Once the show got to the climax is where he got more mad man like.

If I had to rank the three Bills, I'd put them at

I dunno, to me, the more understated, quietly menacing type worked better then the hollering psychotic type.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:43 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I played Bill Sykes in 2011. Here's 'My Name'... gives an idea of my take on Bill. It was probably the most fun I've ever had on stage. Thoughts and criticisms are encouraged.

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2