The Resource For Musicals

Oliver! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
How evil should Bill be? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post How evil should Bill be?
I'm going to be trying out for Bill Sykes this weekend, and I'm wondering just how evil/over-the-top/sinister anyone might have seen or played Bill. I've never actually seen a stage production yet - other than clips on the YouTubes - and Oliver Reed's depiction in the movie was, it seems to me, a bit... understated, to put it nicely.

Thoughts?

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:58 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

He should start off quite sinister and calm... then become evil... as in absolutely horribly evil.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:55 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I agree with wicked. I much prefer understated Bill to ranting and raving Bill. People who are insecure or are trying to be a bully rant and rave. Bill doesn't need that. He is already the baddest on the block. Everybody knows his reputation. He doesn't have to assert it everytime he comes into the THree Cripples. A snarl, a menacing stare, should do it to start. If you start out beating everyone in the bar during your song, you slapping Nancy loses some of it's potency.

It's only when your plans start to fall apart that you lose it. A little bit during the fine life reprise. Then you can go completely beserk at the end, when you know the jig is up.

My opinion, of course. I've seen it played both ways.

Good luck with your audition.

--Scott

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:35 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

at first, he should be just plain mean and in the end after he kills Nancy he goes nuts.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'd much prefer a subtle/understated portrayal. It's kind of a shite part, though. I mean, who really sings about being a hard ass and expects it to be taken seriously? Way cheesy, as is a lot of his dialogue. I tend to favor Fagin as much more of a villain because Bill, for all the "terror" he evokes, is bollocks.

Wed May 06, 2009 8:48 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I tend to favor Fagin as much more of a villain because Bill, for all the "terror" he evokes, is bollocks.

While Fagin's actions are villainous, I like to think that he cares somewhat about his wards.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

While Fagin's actions are villainous, I like to think that he cares somewhat about his wards.

There's that ambiguous element making him more complex - he's a great character.

To a larger extent, one could make the argument that the true villain of Oliver! (much like in Sweeney Todd) is society/ the social hierarchy which facilitates the events of the play. For example, Nancy is certainly a victim of Oliver!, but it is inadequate to say that she is merely a victim of Sykes.

While we're on the broad topic, in the play, Oliver himself isn't much of a protagonist. He hasn't a lot of agency - he just gets caught up in stuff. He's also a victim.

But yes, Fagin is complex.

Wed May 06, 2009 1:16 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In the production of Oliver! I was in, our Bill Sykes came in as this sinister madman. He played it up as though he was overconfident, but he could be cocky because he was the most evil of the bunch. It was actually a lot better than it sounds. During "My Name", he walked menacingly around the tables, singing somewhat quietly, playing with the group's mind before he would hit a line and scream it out while pounding on a table or shoving somebody. It was basically a dangerous mindgame throughout the whole number. One wrong move, and you would be dead. He didn't actually kill anyone, but he was brandishing his weapon throughout it and making eye contact with the actors, and then the audience.

It was really, really incredible. I wish it had been filmed. The change between "My Name" and "Oom Pah Pah" was absolute mood whiplash.

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Sat May 09, 2009 6:34 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

On a slight tangent...does anyone here think that the movie's approach of having Bill be the only non-singer really works? I enjoy the song "My Name," but I actually think it's a nice touch not to have him sing. It makes him stand out that much more. Fagin may be a villain with comic overtones, but Bill ain't playin' with you.

(However, in the movie, listen closely most times that Bill comes onscreen and you'll hear "My Name" as underscoring.)

Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:31 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
On a slight tangent...does anyone here think that the movie's approach of having Bill be the only non-singer really works? I enjoy the song "My Name," but I actually think it's a nice touch not to have him sing. It makes him stand out that much more. Fagin may be a villain with comic overtones, but Bill ain't playin' with you.

(However, in the movie, listen closely most times that Bill comes onscreen and you'll hear "My Name" as underscoring.)

the sowerberrys song is also cut in the film they dont sing. and even in the origiginal Brownlow doesnt have any musical material. so in the film Bill,Brownlow and the sowerberrys are the 4 principals that do not sing.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:52 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
In the production of Oliver! I was in, our Bill Sykes came in as this sinister madman. He played it up as though he was overconfident, but he could be cocky because he was the most evil of the bunch. It was actually a lot better than it sounds. During "My Name", he walked menacingly around the tables, singing somewhat quietly, playing with the group's mind before he would hit a line and scream it out while pounding on a table or shoving somebody. It was basically a dangerous mindgame throughout the whole number. One wrong move, and you would be dead. He didn't actually kill anyone, but he was brandishing his weapon throughout it and making eye contact with the actors, and then the audience.

It was really, really incredible. I wish it had been filmed. The change between "My Name" and "Oom Pah Pah" was absolute mood whiplash.

that soundsl ike every other bland staging of the song ive seen except the Sam Mendes production in london which was the only time it worked.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:53 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Nettik wrote:

that soundsl ike every other bland staging of the song ive seen except the Sam Mendes production in london which was the only time it worked.

I've seen a lot of productions of it on YouTube that were bland and boring. This was not, it kept the audience's attention. I saw a version at a high school recently that was boring. Bill ended up standing on a bar table for the majority of it. I'm pretty sure the actor thought he was playing Mark in Rent with some of his dancing.

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next