The Resource For Musicals

Oliver! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Mrs. Sowerberry? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Mrs. Sowerberry?
Soo.... I just got cast as Mrs. Sowerberry in our production of Oliver and was wondering how much she does? I haven't seen the show in aaaages.

According to Wikipedia she's in one song and one scene total?

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:22 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Yeah, she's only in one song, but I bet you'll get assigned to chorus after that. That way you get to be in lots more songs!

Anyway, Mrs. S is a fun role; the girl who played her at my school was amazing. Her scene is basically a comedic one, and is quite manageable in terms of line amounts. You don't need to be an amazing singer, as she's more of a character role; play up her creepy factor to an almost comic factor. Her fainting, when timed correctly, is hilarious!

Also...a suggestion...perhaps end "That's Your Funeral" with an over-the-top evil laugh? I saw a girl on Youtube do it and it was great. :D

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:36 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Oh wow, yeah, our director put by our name if we were going to be ensemble as well, and it wasn't by mine.

But my director is kind of rewriting it some so it fits a more "modern" London.
Our Mr. Sowerberry is actually an Assistant Principa.

I do sing, in fact, I primarily sing, so singing is no problem. I listened to the cast recording and was a little disappointed to find Mrs. Sowerberry is Mr. Sowerberry's back up bascially.

Last edited by Alyssabelle on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:52 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Just play her up a little, not to the extent of upstaging anyone else, but you can almost do that with her. And she's a very flexible character, so you can play around with her.

Yeh, she sorta does back up Mr Sowerberry, but who cares? Steal the scene!

Good luck, ey?! Have fun with the role! And have fun fainting and getting water thrown on you every show! :)

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:07 am

The Sowerberrys are tw ofo the best roles in the show. she is in 2 scenes and of course Thats Your Funeral is a real showstopper.

if youl isten to the OLC mrs. S does kind of just back up Mr. S in the song but in the London revival recording they split the song up more evenly.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The Sowerberrys are tw ofo the best roles in the show. she is in 2 scenes and of course Thats Your Funeral is a real showstopper.

if youl isten to the OLC mrs. S does kind of just back up Mr. S in the song but in the London revival recording they split the song up more evenly.

Salome has the right of it. Honestly, the Funeral Parlor scene was the best in our production of it (granted, the whole thing wasn't exactly great). They're hilarious and pretty much...well, what Salome said. They're the best roles in the show. :D

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:21 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

That's good to hear! I thought it was just like a tiny bit part (like Martha in G&D. Just a member of the mission band w/ a name).

My director sounds like she's editing it a lot. She got annoyed at me because I called Mrs. Sowerberry an old lady and said "But she's only 30!"
"I thought she was..." "We haven't had the cast meeting yet, you're making assumptions!"

This should be veeeery interesting. Thanks y'all!

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:47 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Mrs. Sowerberry?
How did it turn out? I just got Mrs. Sowerberry role, too. I was expecting to be nancy, I really connected with her and I'm not a bad singer. Anyway, just wanted to know if you could give me any advice about this (: Thank you.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Mrs. Sowerberry?
I have been recently cast as Mr. Sowerberry, and am trying to sort out the relationship with Mrs. Sowerberry.

As I look over the variety of interpretations on the Youtube clips, there is quite a lot of variation. Some have played Mrs. Sowerberry as being quite insulting to Mr. Sowerberry. Some also portray her as extremely flirtatious with Mr. Bubble. But, in the song, the couple would seem to be very much on the same page.

The song has three distinct themes.

The song starts with them singing about a grand funeral procession, and the phrase "That's your funeral" refers to they type of funeral they would organize. E.g. "Then the coffin, lined with satin. That's your funeral".

The 2nd part transitions to warning people to avoid things that would cause their death. E.g. "If you're fond of overeating. That's your funeral".

The 3rd part of the song seems like Mr. Sowerberry and Mr. Bumble are at odds. Perhaps Bumble realized that part #2 was mocking him because of his weight, and Bumble is responding by saying, "That's your funeral" meaning "You'll be attending your own funeral if you keep it up."

But, Mrs. Sowerberry also seems to be part of this segment against Bumble. So, it would not really do for her to be flirting with Bumble at the beginning of the scene. One production depicted them both as drunk, so then it would be more reasonable for Mrs. Sowerberry to be inconsistent, and flirt with Bumble at the start, then join in mocking him as the song progresses. However to me the drunk approach tends to diminish them, because it would be more fun for them to really behave this way normally, and not because of drunkenness.

Perhaps Mr. Sowerberry is simply oblivious to anything the Mrs. does, since he is so absorbed in his goals to produce elaborate funeral processions. So, then any flirtation is ignored by Mr. Sowerberry, along with any insults from the Mrs. This way he is genuinely nice to her for the song.

My own take would be for Mr. Sowerberry to be quite absorbed in his funeral planning. Then, the Mrs. would be a busy-body, and would not truly dislike her husband. Any kindness by her towards Mr. Bumble would be because he is a person of standing, rather that because of any romantic plans. It still allows here to toggle between the loud obnoxious voice and her polite voice.

Any other thoughts on this?

-Joe

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]