The Resource For Musicals

Oliver! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Who did you play? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i have no clue! its a youth preformance, so maybe they can do that???? its still basically the orginal show though. maybe they'll still officially call it Oliver! just for that reason

Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:57 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Even the youth shows have to be officially licensed by those who wish to perform them. This seems like the classic "drama teacher deciding to play around" kind of show to me. :?

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

yeah, i see what you're saying and i really hope it actually turns out well. but this is a community, not a school show, and i think the directors are actually expierienced people who can put on a good show. and i guess 13-19 isnt a very young youth show. im just glad that they put some work into changing some things around to suit what they got from auditions rather than canceling the whole thing, whitch they almost did

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:08 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Hey, good luck with the whole thing and all, but please beware that even community shows need to have the appropriate clearance and licensing issues sorted.

I've heard of companies really coming down hard on theater groups for the smallest problems (ie: dropping certain songs for a couple of performances because a lead performer is sick), and extending a musical's run without notifying the publisher--you even have to specify how many performances you intend on playing.

The point of this post: be careful. Especially if your director is planning on re-writing Oliver! to suit their own creative drive.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

alright, thank you for the info and warning. for now ill put my trust in the theatre group its being put on by because theyve been around for a long time and im pretty confident they know what theyre doing. but ill definately ask if they have clearance to do the show if i see anything that looks a bit odd

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:29 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Please let us know how it all goes. Sorry if I seemed a little harsh in my earlier posts, it's only that I've spent almost the same amount of time in theatre production teams and on management committees as I have on the stage itself. I know about all the red tape you've got to accept and the boxes you must tick.

Hope it all goes well for you. :)

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

its okay, i understand. anyway, im gald for the precation!
thanks, im just super excited to have a lead role for the first time in my life!
not sure where you live, but its near midnight here... first day of rehearsals tomorrow, so i gotta get some sleep
ta-ta!

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:41 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I am currently about to start the rehearsals for Oliver, and was cast as Bet ! I am really excited because the girl who is playing Nancy is a good friend off stage so it will be very easy to portray the relationship on stage :)

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:40 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

haha check this out ...i was in year 8 i think at high school (uk) and i played Dodger ... even though its an obvious male role i enjoyed every minute of it properbly because it was something completely different ''/ ...was a shocker though ya know going for nancy and all that :lol:

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:53 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I got the part of Nancy in our school production of Oliver :)
Start rehersing after the summer holidays.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:48 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Our production had a female Dodger too; only the director decided to re-name the character so it turned out to be a girl in the first place. A decision I wasnt too thrilled about (we had no shortage of boys who auditioned for Oliver but could have been just as good as Dodger) but whatever.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

^ On that note of semi-unusual casting. The production in which I was involved had a female Oliver, though several young boys auditioned. The director said that this girl simply was the best performer and so won the part.

Another curious thing was that even though several young boys auditioned, the director chose a 20 year old guy to play Artful Dodger.

To respond to the thread's question, that 20 year old was me!

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next