The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Very Excited! 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Very Excited!
I did "Oklahoma!" two years ago... and fell in love with the show. I always have loved this musical, even though I am not a R&H fan. Now, I am getting the chance to do it again in another town-- and I am finally playing the role I have always wanted to play in it!!!

I got cast as Ali Hakim!!!! I may be wrong, but dont you think Ali Hakim is the best male character in the show? I think people are not going to remember our Curly and Laurie very much... but I am pretty sure they'll remember the goofy Ali Hakim--I am so glad I get to play him.

West Side Story-A-rab
Forum- Hero
A Christmas Carol-Bob Crachit
Narnia-Mr. Beaver
La Cage Aux Folles-Hercule
Fiddler on the Roof-Sasha/Dancer

Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:03 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
ift hey miscast Laurey and curley your show is doomed. they need to be the witty, clver, glue that holdst he play together.. like a western beatrice and benedick.

Ali isnt goofy..he's shrewd and wiley. its a great role but do not play him goofy or you'll ruin it.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think Ali Hakim is one of the most fun roles in the show. I disagree with Salome's opinion that playing him goofy ruins it. Trust your director to keep your instincts under control, and provide an excellent performance. Have a great time with it!

Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:21 am

Main Role: Performer
excuse me.. ive been in Oklahoma twice. I know what the hell I'm talking about. Ali is a clever, wiley letch. he isnt a goof.
He is the most fun male character in the show..if he were a goof, he woudnt be.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Have fun with your show, superdave!

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:00 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

You know I have done Oklahoma! too Salome... Dear Lord.... I am going to play him very well, thank you very much. I am a good actor and have done a wide variety of great roles--and I am especially great with comedic roles-- you dont know me!!! They cast me because I did the part well--soo whatever... :P

West Side Story-A-rab
Forum- Hero
A Christmas Carol-Bob Crachit
Narnia-Mr. Beaver
La Cage Aux Folles-Hercule
Fiddler on the Roof-Sasha/Dancer

Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Very Excited!
superdave wrote:
I think people are not going to remember our Curly and Laurie very much... but I am pretty sure they'll remember the goofy Ali Hakim--I am so glad I get to play him.

Since they're the two lead roles and the main romance in the production, that's probably a bad thing that you think the audience won't remember them. And I've got to agree with Salome. Ali is not so much goofy, but more conniving and slick. You have to keep in mind that he's a peddler who makes his living by going town to town selling worthless crap. And along the way he usually racks up a girl or two. So while Ali has his slightly "goofy" moments, I wouldn't base the entire character off of them.

EDIT: Adding onto this, please make sure you watch the original movie and the revival with Hugh Jackman! Both of them beautifully demonstrate the true nature of the characters. Ali really is not meant to be played goofy, although many directors choose to present him in that light. Will is the goofy character, Curly is the heart throb, Ali is the slick character, and Andrew is the grumpy mean old man. Everyone has a very distinct individuality, which is part of what makes this production so classic and amazing.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Congratulations! That's fantastic! We are doing Oklahoma! for our spring musical next year, and I am auditioning for the part as Ado Annie. Personally, I think Ali Hakim is a fun character. But you should definitely build a strong relationship with your Ado Annie and Will Parker cast in this show, or else it will ruin the effects of the whole show. You want it to be balanced! Other than that...Break a leg!

"Theatre is magic. Blessed are those who make the magic."

Sat May 09, 2009 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]