The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Laurey Audition - Acting. 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Laurey Audition - Acting.
Hey I have an audition to play Laurey in a couple of weeks time, and i really want this! I'm totally fine/confident about my singing ability (and dnacing) its just the acting part i always struggle with. im just not confident about acting at all...i guess a lot of the time i find it hard to completely forget myself and play the character and so feel stupid and not sure im doing it right. I really feel like I get the character of Laurey and that I understand her in descriptive terms, but I'm just not too confident about my own acting to give her enough credit(!).

Has anyone got any advice on how I could get over my "acting phobia" and play this character well enough to not let myself down?!

Thanks, XXX

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:46 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
well acting is the single most important part of a show. you need to embody the role. you cant gett by on a nice singing voice in theatre.

Laurey is a very proud and tough young girl. very romantic but not up to showing it. she has survived as an oprhan since she was 6.

she is witty, clever and can hold her own. she isi n love with curley but facinated sexually by jud. even though he scares her to death.
Laurey and Curley are a western version o Shakespeare's Beatrice and Benedick.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Just out of curiosity, Salome, do you know for a fact that Green Grow the Lilacs was inspired by Beatrice and Benedick? Or are you speculating?

Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

OK guys please dont turn my post into critisising each other's knowledge.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:19 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Oh no no. I'm not criticizing in the least. I'm asking an honest question. I was just wondering whether Dawn drew that comparison herself, or if Green Grow the Lilacs was actually written with Much Ado About Nothing in mind. I wasn't trying to test her knowledge or anything, I was just wondering is all.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:22 pm

it wasnt based on Much Ado. No. but Lynn Riggs has stateted that the Laurey/Curley relationship is similar to Bea and Ben.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
My suggestion would be to look at every scene individually and ask yourself (as Laurey) the basic questions about that scene...who, what, where, when, and why? Why is Laurey saying this, what exactly is she saying...and put yourself in the place she is at the moment. Also, don't look at only your lines but the lines you feed off of that come before yours, because those lines are what prompts you to say what you say and why you say it. What is Laurey *really* thinking? A lot of times she doesn't say what she really thinks or feels. She can't even admit her feelings to her own self. She is tough as nails, yet still has vulnerable moments. Really bring out both of these, it's what makes her interesting. Laurey can be played flatly with just a girlishness or sometimes just with stubborness. Neither on it's own allows the audience to fully connect with her or appreciate what's really going on in her, both sides need to be delivered. She's a lot of fun to play, good luck! Let us know how you make out.

P.S...for a look at a great Laurey, I suggest watching the London cast of Oklahoma if you haven't already. I think Joesefina Gabrielle is terrific.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:04 am

Josefina and myself are the 2 best Laurey's to ever grace a stage. 8)

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]