The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Playing Jud, need help with Laurey 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Playing Jud, need help with Laurey
I am playing Jud Fry in my High Schools production of Oklahoma!, and am very excited about it. Im not the strongest singer, or dancer, but our Director said that i'm a perfect match to play this part.

So I have a couple questions:

Me and Laurey have been avoiding our kiss, but the director is forcing the scene on us soon, is there any way to get past the severe akwardness...?

The play opens at the end of April, and i was thinking that I should probably work out a bit up until then, i'm not out of shape, just a bit scrawny to play a Murderin' Farmhand, is there any point, or will the results be unnoticeable in that short of a time?

Past Roles-
Master of Ceremonies [Announcer]-Chicago
Bird Seller/Ensemble- Sweeney Todd

(not bad for high school eh?)

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think the point is that it's supposed to be awkward. Yes, between you and the girl it will be awkward, but just think how awkward it really would be for Laurey and Jud.

Quote:
Honey, its Mdn. M stands for musicals. Which means assume nothing.

Lily- Secret Garden Forum Cast 2008

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:14 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Have they changed Oklahoma since I did it (years ago)? At what point do Jud and Laurie kiss? I recall a struggle at the hoedown, but no actual kiss.

Anyway, stage kissing can be a very touchy subject, especially with teens. I encourage my actors to start off with a peck on the cheek in early rehearsals and once they are more comfortable with each other , move on to hitting the lips, lengthening the kiss, and so on. You need to start early, so that it comes natually. Even if the kiss is to look awkward, it needs to come naturally to the actors. A kiss between the charcters of Jud and Laurie would be rather violent on Juds side, I would think,...... with her resisting. That needs rehearsal to make it look right.

AS far as working out. It surely can't hurt and even if there are no shattering results, it will make you feel better about yourself.

Break a leg!

Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:49 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Have they changed Oklahoma since I did it (years ago)? At what point do Jud and Laurie kiss? I recall a struggle at the hoedown, but no actual kiss.

Anyway, stage kissing can be a very touchy subject, especially with teens. I encourage my actors to start off with a peck on the cheek in early rehearsals and once they are more comfortable with each other , move on to hitting the lips, lengthening the kiss, and so on. You need to start early, so that it comes natually. Even if the kiss is to look awkward, it needs to come naturally to the actors. A kiss between the charcters of Jud and Laurie would be rather violent on Juds side, I would think,...... with her resisting. That needs rehearsal to make it look right.

AS far as working out. It surely can't hurt and even if there are no shattering results, it will make you feel better about yourself.

Break a leg!

During the Dream Sequence, we're not using any "Dream" characters, just a backlit stage, so only silhouettes are visible, and our script calls for a kiss near the end, just as shes about to awaken.

Past Roles-
Master of Ceremonies [Announcer]-Chicago
Bird Seller/Ensemble- Sweeney Todd

(not bad for high school eh?)

Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:03 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Jud tries to kiss laurey in the confrontation scene. she pulls away and spits at him. he slugs her. is that the scene you mean?

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

First of all, congratulations on playing Jud- a great part!When I played Laurey I didn't kiss Jud. It actually says in the script that Jud only tries to hold her. But a kiss or more could be added in at the discretion of the director I guess.

Don't worry about the stage kiss- they are always nerve racking at first but when you actually do it you will quickly realize that it really is no big deal. Really. My advice would be to get it over with as quickly as possible so you too can start to feel comfortable with each other. Good luck! :-)

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]